Punto (Mk2/2b) Newbie HGT owner in need of some help

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk2/2b) Newbie HGT owner in need of some help

SmithyHGT

Hello, am new to the forum and have just purchased a 2000 plate punto HGT in need of some TLC, had a problem with the car idling at first when either hot or cold which was solved by cleaning the throttle body and butterfly. but it has had an intermittent problem where it starts then dies or fails to start at all, until i've tried a 3-4 times, any ideas what the problem could be?

Changed the spark plugs this morning and it has made an improvement to the car idling but still won't start 1st time, also the plug furthest away from the cam belt was covered in oil on the bottom half, any idea what has caused this?

many thanks in advance Allan

the HGT doesn't have HT leads they have coil packs all of which seem in good nick.

the battery was replaced a couple of weeks ago, all the Earths are ok and the power is feeding thru well.

On the threaded part of the plug?

I'd do a dry and wet compression test.

Post the results here.

Failure to start/conking out can be a TDC sensor on its way out, but could be so many other things.

The FIAT/Alfa lump is a nice engine, but takes no prisoners. See if you can find a FIAT/Alfa independent in your part of the multiverse: many FIAT technicians will never have seen one.

thank you, will try to find a fiat/alfa garage local to myself to get this done, then post back

Back