Newbie - 500 ByDiesel with a squeeky clutch?!

Currently reading:
Newbie - 500 ByDiesel with a squeeky clutch?!

ChayB

Hello all - excellent forum you have here, really helpful!

Feel I am now eligble to join rather than just lurking as we have a 500 in the garage! Recently bought a low mileage 09 plate ByDiesel as my daughters first car (far cry from the heap of rust held toghether with gaffer tap and cable ties I had as a lad!)
I was really pleased to find it, low mileage (just under 45k) and excellent history...including a new 3 piece clutch kit at 38k. She is struggling to drive it though :cry: the clutch is stiff and a little jumpy, seems to come up in jolts rather than smooth transition and it also is sooooo loud! It has a dreadful pedal squeek. Like an old rocking chair with a heavy burden. Been told new slave and master probably required - any adivce welcome!

Last edited:
My 06 Panda was doing it, I eased the dust cover off the end of the slave
cylinder and put some red rubber grease in the slave cylinder, it took
a few days but is now fine, it as a plastic slave cylinder not the best
idea they ever had.

Quick update - tried Holts Silicone spray pointed in the rough direction of the rubber boot, unsurprisingly that did nothing! So stopped being lazy and got the rubber boot off and applied red rubber grease (should have mentioned it's a 1.4, access is a pig!) So far very much reduced noise and generally smoother pedal travel. Still makes noise and gets worse as it gets hot but certainly better. Only a few days in so waiting to see if it continues to improve. Many thanks to RalphM!

Hello, I have just made a video about my squeaky / creaking clutch and how I fixed it for £30 :

I hope this helps.

Back