Technical new whirring noise!

Currently reading:
Technical new whirring noise!

arc

this is where i stand
My car has just started making another new noise. Its a high(ish) whirring noise that changes pitch depending on revs.

This morning when i went to start the car, the battery was flat - so had to bump start it.I put it down to the gps being left in there and on for the past few days. I took it for a good drive to charge the battery up and it was fine.

Just been out for a drive, and when i restarted it - the battery light stayed on longer than it normally does.

I could link the two and say alternator.

Or do you think the light was only on because the battery hadnt fully recharged and the whirring is something else? The alternator belt isnt slack, and i dont think it was slipping (the belt wasnt warm)

Any ideas?

Hi,
The light normally comes on when there's less than 14v being produced by the alternator, thats what it takes to charge the battery and keep everything working, sounds as if you have a dodgy bearing or something similar if the belt is tight and in good condition.
If you have a multimeter, check accross the battery with the engine running, should read about 14.2v, if above 15v or below 14v then there is a problem.

Thanks
Paul T

it is your alternator i know because i myself have this problem and have been told by my local parts dealer after checking that it will need replaceing shortly or repairing in some way mainly due to high power stereo systems etc drawing more power than can be mad one word VIBE

Back