124 Spider (Classic) New to the Forum. Fiat owner since 1974.

Currently reading:
124 Spider (Classic) New to the Forum. Fiat owner since 1974.

sixty2cad

Hi! This is my story. Grab a beer (Special London Ale, if you can). It'll take a bit.
Way back when...
In 1974 (at the age of 21) I spent months trying to buy a Fiat 124 Spyder. I stopped by the used car lot of the local Fiat dealer daily, and eventually acquired an orange 1971 124 Spyder with a 1608. What a great car!
In 1975 I talked a guy I barely knew (but he drove a 1960 Alfa Coupe) into buying and sharing a 1969 Fiat 124 Spyder (1438), race ready!
We raced it in the ICSCC (International Conference of Sports Car Clubs). It was eligible in three classes, so we raced in two... G Production and F Improved Production.
We were members of the IRDC (International Race Drivers Club) out of Renton, the fifth year of this now fifty year old club.
Our race sponsor was Ray Mortenson (owner, Performance Apex), the #1 Fiat Mechanic in Washington state from the early seventies for 40+ years. Ray was Course Marshall for years at SIR / Pacific Raceways for ICSCC and SCCA.
We raced two years and I learned two things. Racing ain't cheap, and I was never going to be Mario Andretti (who said “If you’re in control, you’re not driving fast enough”).
Over time I became the soul owner, and for better or worse, I always had a place to keep my old racer.
Life and kids happened, and it was a "future project". Occasionally I would buy something (like a chrome plated alternator I still have) that was never even close to being installed.
Fast forward to the early 2000s.
I realized I was likely not going to go racing again, but saw an ad for a 124 Coupe in Portland (not far). I drove down to look at it, wasn’t interested, but by chance he also had a 1969 Fiat 124 Spyder (1438). I bought it instead, and the seller was kind enough to deliver (Thanks Mac!).
Fiat 124s as a performance vehicle were far better known as rally cars. This one had been somewhat modified in that vein, It included the original type of rally hardtop and the proper four spoke mags. I acquired a brand new set of Abarth original rally bumpers which are still in the box.
Now:
So here’s an old fart with two 1969 Fiat 124s. One runs. The other doesn’t, but plenty of parts. And sadly as much as I thought this would be my retirement project, not gonna happen.
Here’s the kicker. These two Fiat serial numbers are seven digits apart. Someone in Italy watched both these cars go down the assembly line separated by minutes. They are the same color, as they did one color per day.
I’ve spoken with many million dollar car owners and enthusiasts and asked them if they know anyone that has two production sports cars made the same day. Always no. When I shake their hand and say, “Now you do”, they all say the same thing. Keep them together. One of a kind.
So these deserve restoration. One back to the vintage racer it was, and the other to the rally car it was supposed to be.
I also have a 1971 1608 that is intact. Could be restored. I originally bought it for parts, but was running when it was parked many years ago, so everything is there.
So, are there any Fiat crazy couples out there that have more money than sense, and would love to one up there drinking buddies by having two 50+ year old sports cars made the same day?
Would love to hear from all fellow Fiat enthusiasts.

Hey, sixty2Cad,

You must like Cadillacs, too, especially 1962 models.

Your story is interesting, and I enjoyed reading it. I have two '77 Spiders, only 50 numbers apart in serial number. I wonder how I might find out if they were made on the same day or not... hmmmmm? My daughter and I are just starting our restore project; both cars are in pretty bad shape.

See the pic of the red one in the '77 Spider Restore post.

Fantastic read - deffo keep those two together - thats amazingly unique.

I own a 1932 MG J2 and a friend of mine also has one that was just five cars away from mine on the production-line. Both cars are under restoration right now, but we will be getting them together as soon as they're 'on the road'

Best you get a lot of photos of the two together :):cool:

Back