General New to FIATs... and X1/9s... A few questions

Currently reading:
General New to FIATs... and X1/9s... A few questions

Bearzah

Hi all. I've come to learn the best resources out there are these forums. I have a 1st gen rx7 (converted to forced induction :slayer:) and a similar forum has helped MANY times.

I've recently come into possession of a 1980 X1/9 with 94k miles on it. It's quite a project getting it going again as it's been SITTING FOR 16 YEARS!!!! Needless to say, the fuel system is taking a lot of my time and energy. :bang:

To start, what are the cylinder numbers in correspondence to the firing order? Does it follow the usual convention of cylinder #1 closest to the timing belt and #4 farthest? And is the timing set off the #4 plug lead as other Fiats?

And yes... I've spend a lot of time searching the forums, but, the closest I could find was a 2002 Punto cylinder order... hmmm... completely different car. I will have more questions... just starting it off easy. (y)

Firing order is exactly the same as other 4-cylinder fiats so there should be no surprises there.

If you look on the side of the cylinder head it even has the firing order cast into it...

Yeah, the firing order was the issue. After straightening up the plug wires she fired right up.

i now need to get the engine temp and fuel gauge working. I think the fuel gauge just needs a better cleaning to get the fuel varnish and corrosion off all the connections.

I'm at a lost with the temp gauge. I'm hoping it's just a dirty connection at the sending unit.... anyone know where the sending unit is?

Thanks

The temp sender is on the thermostat housing from memory (feeling very vague here).

There is a oil pressure switch on the head and an oil pressure sender on the block (rather obvious as it is much bigger). Other than that I don't remember any other senders on the engine.

There is also one on the radiator but it may just be used to kick in the Cooling fans.

There is a lot of information on the X19 owners club website. I have been a member for over 11 years and all my issues have always been sorted.

Good luck,

Tony. :slayer:

Back