Topolino New Member with Fiat Topolino

Currently reading:
Topolino New Member with Fiat Topolino

HenryB123

Hi all, just introduce myself. I have a 1949 Fiat Topolino. Had it for years but never got an MOT for it. So now thinking about getting it on the road. I restored it to MOT standard. Just declared Sorn. I have had it since before you had to declare Sorn, so going back a few years. Just in the process of getting historic vehicle status. Hopefully no problem as already have a reg document in my name.
So no MOT or Road Tax required.
Its not been on the road for about 40 years or more.
Ideally would like to get a extended road test on some private land, after I insure it. To make sure everything working okay.
Would take for an inspection to MOT standard.
Apart from driving around the block where I live, not sure where else I could take it for a test run. Just in case it breaks down.
Ideally somewhere like the cardrome in Hornchurch, Essex.

Anyway, if any Topo owners out there good to chat.

Regards
Henry, Essex.

Hi all, just introduce myself. I have a 1949 Fiat Topolino. Had it for years but never got an MOT for it. So now thinking about getting it on the road. I restored it to MOT standard. Just declared Sorn. I have had it since before you had to declare Sorn, so going back a few years. Just in the process of getting historic vehicle status. Hopefully no problem as already have a reg document in my name.
Ideally would like to get a extended road test on some private land, after I insure it. To make sure everything working okay.
Apart from driving around the block where I live, not sure where else I could take it for a test run. Just in case it breaks down.

Regards
Henry, Essex.

Regards
Henry, Essex.
Hi, hope you're on the road now Henry!I'm also a newby but in search of an A Topolino. Just found one with a Lancia 998 engine and disc brakes. Is this a common conversion? I'm a bit of a purist so immediate thoughts are to avoid! Any thoughts/comments appreciated
Cheers
Paul

Hi, hope you're on the road now Henry!I'm also a newby but in search of an A Topolino. Just found one with a Lancia 998 engine and disc brakes. Is this a common conversion? I'm a bit of a purist so immediate thoughts are to avoid! Any thoughts/comments appreciated
Cheers
Paul
Hi Paul, Just doing some jobs to get ready for the road. Like fitting a new locking door lock. Purchased new from Casagrande in Switzerland. Bit fiddly but in and works fine with 2 keys.
Still looking for interior carpet. But found close match for door card material.
To get historic status, I need to insure for the road. As the tax class can only be changed when on the road. So just doing those little jobs to finish off.
I saw that car on the Anglia Car Auctions website. It did not sell. Not sure where it is advertised now.
Never seen one with a Lancia engine. Not sure what car the engine came from. Its looks a period engine though. And not a common conversion. But guess a bit more power to get moving. Not sure if it was ever registered with that engine. The problem is, if it was never registered there may be an issue getting historic status. And then you would have to get a yearly MOT, and perhaps not be road tax exempt. Proceed with care.
Anglia Car Auctions currently have another A Series Topolino. I am lead to believe the car is being removed from their website, and taken by the vendor somewhere else. Don't know where. It could be ebay. Take care, it is not a matching numbers car as stated. I have told Anglia Car Auctions that. The engine is from a later B or C Series Topolino. But may be easier to get historic status. A LOT of work is required. And it wont be cheap.
Far better to get a reasonable example where the work has been done, unless you like spending hours and days in the garage. I have done it. But not again.
A series Topo's seem to attract more money because of the 1930's styling.
That's my thought for now. If you want any more info let me know.

Hi Paul, Just doing some jobs to get ready for the road. Like fitting a new locking door lock. Purchased new from Casagrande in Switzerland. Bit fiddly but in and works fine with 2 keys.
Still looking for interior carpet. But found close match for door card material.
To get historic status, I need to insure for the road. As the tax class can only be changed when on the road. So just doing those little jobs to finish off.
I saw that car on the Anglia Car Auctions website. It did not sell. Not sure where it is advertised now.
Never seen one with a Lancia engine. Not sure what car the engine came from. Its looks a period engine though. And not a common conversion. But guess a bit more power to get moving. Not sure if it was ever registered with that engine. The problem is, if it was never registered there may be an issue getting historic status. And then you would have to get a yearly MOT, and perhaps not be road tax exempt. Proceed with care.
Anglia Car Auctions currently have another A Series Topolino. I am lead to believe the car is being removed from their website, and taken by the vendor somewhere else. Don't know where. It could be ebay. Take care, it is not a matching numbers car as stated. I have told Anglia Car Auctions that. The engine is from a later B or C Series Topolino. But may be easier to get historic status. A LOT of work is required. And it wont be cheap.
Far better to get a reasonable example where the work has been done, unless you like spending hours and days in the garage. I have done it. But not again.
A series Topo's seem to attract more money because of the 1930's styling.
That's my thought for now. If you want any more info let me know.
That’s incredibly helpful - really appreciated. Just been talking to ACA today and they still have Lancia engine one which got to £4300 at auction but rejected by owner. Only way I could get that to work would be to get hold of an original engine and gearbox. I hadn’t realised that about the ACA project car numbers, you’re dead right there! Who did you use for most of your parts? Cheers Paul

That’s incredibly helpful - really appreciated. Just been talking to ACA today and they still have Lancia engine one which got to £4300 at auction but rejected by owner. Only way I could get that to work would be to get hold of an original engine and gearbox. I hadn’t realised that about the ACA project car numbers, you’re dead right there! Who did you use for most of your parts? Cheers Paul
Hi Paul,
I bought a lot of parts from Casagrande in Switzerland. That may sound expensive but looking around say ebay their prices are about the same. And they know what they are talking about. I just used to quote part numbers and they gave me a price. Their website does not list everything they have.
A chap called Steve Denning used to be heavily involved in Topolino's, but I believe he sold all his spares to a chap up north.
Other folk whose names you pick up. Some not around now.
Try contacting The Fiat Register for leads, and just to get your needs out there.
I would look at say Ebay for panels etc. I bought new sills and some floor panels from a guy in Holland. But not sure he is still in business.
Secondhand engine and gearbox - some must be around just a case of finding them. I am sure there are folk around with bits and pieces. Keep an eye on Ebay.
So not just one person really. Apart from Casagrande and Steve Denning.
Cannot remember how all together that Lancia one was. But if a running car could play with, whilst getting bits for a proper engine and gearbox.
Need to get rough idea of how much that car is worth with incorrect engine.
Just had another look at that lancia engined Topolino. Whilst far from original, it seems all together and up and running.
Would need to look at sills and floor. That is where they rust.
Its an interesting car as quicker than original. But as noted above you may struggle to get historic status. The website says V5 needs updating. Unless you can prove it was done 30? years or more ago.
Cannot say anything about the engine or what car it came from apart from a Lancia. So would have to check spares availability. Lancia gearbox?
Price? Vendor asking for 8-10K I believe. Seems a bit steep considering engine, and interior etc. Somewhere between £4300 and £8k perhaps.

Last edited:
Hi Paul,
I bought a lot of parts from Casagrande in Switzerland. That may sound expensive but looking around say ebay their prices are about the same. And they know what they are talking about. I just used to quote part numbers and they gave me a price. Their website does not list everything they have.
A chap called Steve Denning used to be heavily involved in Topolino's, but I believe he sold all his spares to a chap up north.
Other folk whose names you pick up. Some not around now.
Try contacting The Fiat Register for leads, and just to get your needs out there.
I would look at say Ebay for panels etc. I bought new sills and some floor panels from a guy in Holland. But not sure he is still in business.
Secondhand engine and gearbox - some must be around just a case of finding them. I am sure there are folk around with bits and pieces. Keep an eye on Ebay.
So not just one person really. Apart from Casagrande and Steve Denning.
Cannot remember how all together that Lancia one was. But if a running car could play with, whilst getting bits for a proper engine and gearbox.
Need to get rough idea of how much that car is worth with incorrect engine.
Just had another look at that lancia engined Topolino. Whilst far from original, it seems all together and up and running.
Would need to look at sills and floor. That is where they rust.
Its an interesting car as quicker than original. But as noted above you may struggle to get historic status. The website says V5 needs updating. Unless you can prove it was done 30? years or more ago.
Cannot say anything about the engine or what car it came from apart from a Lancia. So would have to check spares availability. Lancia gearbox?
Price? Vendor asking for 8-10K I believe. Seems a bit steep considering engine, and interior etc. Somewhere between £4300 and £8k perhaps.
Thanks again. On the ACA project car they quote engine number 029657 isn't it an A up to unit 122,213? Basing this on FD Ricambi summary If OK with you , would be good to exchange email - I'm [email protected] (careful with the double l in middle)
Would love to see pics of your car.
Cheers
Paul

Hi,

I've just seen this post and wonder if you got sorted with a suitable car. I have an estate version of the Topolino from 1954 (The Belvedere 500C). Very good condition (restored in Italy) and all running well. I've had some fun attending various shows and am contemplating selling. Pleased to hear from you or indeed any other members that want to talk Topolinos. Best Stuart

Hi,

I've just seen this post and wonder if you got sorted with a suitable car. I have an estate version of the Topolino from 1954 (The Belvedere 500C). Very good condition (restored in Italy) and all running well. I've had some fun attending various shows and am contemplating selling. Pleased to hear from you or indeed any other members that want to talk Topolinos. Best Stuart
Hi, Most owners, including myself, seem to be on the Facebook Group. Fiat Topolino 500A 500B 500C Oldtimer. Quite a few UK owners there. Check it out. Henry

Back