Technical Need Help with Flashing Warning Light on Fiat Ducato 2005 (Manual Gearbox)

Currently reading:
Technical Need Help with Flashing Warning Light on Fiat Ducato 2005 (Manual Gearbox)

Jeremy1969

Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out to the community for some assistance with an issue I'm facing with my 2005 Fiat Ducato motorhome, which is built on a manual gearbox chassis. Recently, I've encountered a persistent problem with a warning light on the dashboard.

Here's what's happening:

• A warning light on the dashboard started flashing.
  • When I consulted the manual, it indicated that this is a sign of an "automatic gearbox failure."
  • The manual specifically states: "Flashing light = automatic gearbox failure. Warning light flashing at starting or when travelling indicates a fault in the automatic gearbox. Engaging the 3rd gear, the automatic control system starts an 'emergency programme'."
The Confusion:

• My Ducato has a manual gearbox, so the reference to an automatic gearbox issue is puzzling.
  • I'm not experiencing any noticeable issues with gear shifts or general vehicle performance as of now.
What I've Done So Far:

• I've double-checked to ensure that the manual I referred to corresponds to my vehicle's model and specifications.
  • I haven't yet conducted any technical diagnostics.
Request for Assistance:

• Has anyone experienced something similar with their vehicle?
  • Could this be an error in the vehicle's diagnostic system, or is it indicative of a more serious underlying issue?
  • Any advice on troubleshooting steps or what to look out for would be greatly appreciated.
I am attaching an image of the warning light for better clarity. Any insights or suggestions from this knowledgeable community would be incredibly helpful.

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

PXL_20231205_093645949.MP.jpg

This smells to me, like an electrical short somewhere. Maybe water in the works- perhaps engine bay fuse box. Or outside chance, ECU. Perhaps more likely the wires associated with it. I seem to recall this issue was posted on here in the last few months. Unless it was by you, have a search for it.

This smells to me, like an electrical short somewhere. Maybe water in the works- perhaps engine bay fuse box. Or outside chance, ECU. Perhaps more likely the wires associated with it. I seem to recall this issue was posted on here in the last few months. Unless it was by you, have a search for it.
Hi,

I have found the issue elsewhere but I haven't found the solution.

It's going to be a garage visit I think to see the auto electrician.

As suggested by @Ocwobio, this problem has been raised on previous occasion(s). According to Fiat eLearn for the x244, the automatic gearbox warning light is one of those controlled by a microprocessor. This could explain the flashing mode. When automatic transmission is fitted, the transmission controller communicates with the instrument panel via a serial line, connecting to the instrument panel at connector D pin 15, (D15), and this seems to include the vehicle speed signal, which is normally connected to D15. If speedometer and odometer are functioning correctly, then the seemingly spurious alarm is most probably due to a fault within the instrument panel.

@Jeremy1969 may save himself considerable expense, by discussing the problem with "Cartronix" who are known to repair Ducato instrument panels.

Back