Tuning My Panda is misfiring 1000s

Currently reading:
Tuning My Panda is misfiring 1000s

JennyJenny

Hi my Panda 1000s is misfiring it ticks over just, but give it any trottle and it cuts out, funny sound on tickover, put put put put" then cuts out! has been running great, i'v put new plugs in and put on a new distributor cap but no change.

It may have burnt a valve. (Or poss head gasket)
Take the spark plugs out.
Black with carbon means they havent been running much; White means it has been running far too lean (weak fuel mixture too much air) and wet with fuel means no spark.:(
Next step then would be a compression test. Very simple if you have the gauge.

Did you try new leads? Leads (and coils) are more frequently an issue than plugs.

Try removing as much of the air filter housing as you can, run the engine, bonnet up at night (or in a dark garage) look for blue flashes. Any blue flashes indicate a high tension leak (generally from the leads).

Coils can be tested with a multimeter -- the nominal figures should be in the Haynes manual.

Yes two of the plugs were black!

I was hoping muck in the carb too,

If i got a mobile Engine Tuning and Diagnostics to have a look at my car do think they would pin-point the problem for me?

Yes two of the plugs were black!

I was hoping muck in the carb too,

If i got a mobile Engine Tuning and Diagnostics to have a look at my car do think they would pin-point the problem for me?

Depends how good they are and how used to fixing old style cars they are.

I wouldn't personally use someone random. Do you know a friend who knows a good garage?

Back