Technical multipla starting issues

Currently reading:
Technical multipla starting issues

brimasta

I have a 51 plate 1.9 diesel multipla. when we first got it, it wouldnt start at all off of the key, despite turning over with plenty of speed but if you were to bump it, it would go with the first turn of the engine and then would run just fine. That was in the middle of winter (which was very cold), as the weather warmed up however, now and then it would eventually start. Stop the engine and it would start first turn, however if you were to wait for about a minute it would take several turns. I have replaced the glow plugs and she starts off of the key every time but it takes about 7/8 turns of the engine. The engine control faulty, contact garage sign is on too and so far refuses to go off. Our mechanic plugged his code reader in but it simply wouldnt register it let alone read any faults. I wonder if it might be to do with a blown maxi fuse or something?? somebody help me.:bang:

Engine management light needs to be investigated - could be a number of issues and eliminating all of them doesn't make sense.

A quick check list,
I'm assuming the battery is ok cos it's turning over smartly?
Check the earth strap going to the chassis and make sure it isn't corroded, broken or in any way not doing its job.
Look under the ECU cover which is in the passenger footwell on the bottom of the bulkhead, you should have a small red relay on it's own wiring loom, swap this with the one from the fusebox in the engine compartment above the N/S wheel.
This relay is something to do with the transponder and if it plays up, they don't start, although you do get the orange key light and code error on the display.

Could be a TDC sensor?

My Alfa JTD had similar symptoms - sometimes it started first time, sometimes it took a few goes and sometimes you had to bump it - but once it was going it was fine. Took the garage a while to work it out as it always behaved for them, and in the meantime I found a local petrol station that would let me fill up with the engine running :)

Mine had no engine management light at all though - but it was definitely the TDC sensor - it was £25 I think for a new one, and it was just a case of plugging in a new one - 20 mins labour. Ran beautifully after that.

thanks for this. im a newbie and having trouble with my 02 multipla starting up. sometimes it starts up ok , other times wont, so leave for a while and try again. if im lucky it starts. garage had it in once but it still continued. I will ring garage with this info.
all the best x

Back