Mp3

Currently reading:
Mp3

Hi everyone,

Just got myself a new mobile which can play MP3 - so apparently can the system in my Abarth. I'm new to MP3 as I am still on Cd's. Haven't got a clue of where to obtain MP3 tracks or how it's done - I know it's off the net but that's all I know. Can anyone help please? :confused:

the new version of windows media player has a built in MP3 recorder ("Ripper") - which you can compress all your current CD tracks to an MP3 files... These files can then be split up into folders (if you wanted to) and be burnt to a CD-R.

So instead of having 5 CDs, you can just have 1... The larger the sample size, the bigger the file. But the better the stereo you have, the more noticable drop in sound quality... From my experiences, i use 192kbs sample rate and that sounds fine (and still gives a good compression ratio) :)

So in short, i would "rip" all your CDs to MP3 and store the originals out of harms way, group the mp3s up (could do it via genre like i have), and burn them to a CD-r

paulbfd said:
I tried MP3's done at 256k and the sound quality was dreadful. I don't know if was how the files were converted that did it (can't see how, data is data?) but I couldn't get on with it at all.

I was pretty gutted.

the DAC in the Headunit may not have been all that great. Im using Sony's BurrBrown DAC and does fine for me - makes a big difference when its switched off ;)

And sometimes too bigga sample size can be just as bad - as you need a hefty powered convertor to keep up (which in car headunits is unlikely unfortunately). Also theres not much more advantage over using larger samples than 192kbs, as the drop offs are beyond most audible ranges, and are too large filesize. :)

luke1985 said:
the new version of windows media player has a built in MP3 recorder ("Ripper") - which you can compress all your current CD tracks to an MP3 files... These files can then be split up into folders (if you wanted to) and be burnt to a CD-R.

So instead of having 5 CDs, you can just have 1... The larger the sample size, the bigger the file. But the better the stereo you have, the more noticable drop in sound quality... From my experiences, i use 192kbs sample rate and that sounds fine (and still gives a good compression ratio) :)

So in short, i would "rip" all your CDs to MP3 and store the originals out of harms way, group the mp3s up (could do it via genre like i have), and burn them to a CD-r

Cheers Luke (y) - I get the idea. I'll give it a go - save carrying all those Cd's about. What about MP3 from the net - what's that about though? :confused:

luke1985 said:
the DAC in the Headunit may not have been all that great. Im using Sony's BurrBrown DAC and does fine for me - makes a big difference when its switched off ;)

Don't know anything about the DAC, it was in my old Alpine 9812, so I would think it would have been a reasonable standard?

I'll stick to CD's, I've been burnt once (burnt, geddit?) and never again!

Oh, and my new Alpine HU doesn't have an MP3 player in it!

James Abarth said:
Hi everyone,

Just got myself a new mobile which can play MP3 - so apparently can the system in my Abarth. I'm new to MP3 as I am still on Cd's. Haven't got a clue of where to obtain MP3 tracks or how it's done - I know it's off the net but that's all I know. Can anyone help please? :confused:

You get it all done and stuff now, mate?

No point in ripping at more than 192kb's anyways cd's quality is around that point so you end up with larger file sizes and no better quality.

I use a program called easy cd-da extractor and it gives brilliant quality rips everytime. Dont think the program is free but it can be sourced for free by other means. I was given it by a friend.

But it takes around 6 minutes for me to rip an entire cd to my computer at good quality so its fast which makes it that much more useful.

Not sure if that particular alpine headunit has it but on most of the units it has something called Media Expander or MX which basically helps to get rid of the naff sound MP3's sometimes have.

Back