Styling MOT + LEDs = Me confused

Currently reading:
Styling MOT + LEDs = Me confused

cainy1989

4.5k for insurance :O
I have just fitted some LED sidelights, however they have tripped the CANBUS system so I have the warning on my dash, does anyone have any ideas if having the bulb warning on for sidelights is an MOT fail? I know main beam is, not sure on side lights though.

car is going in for an MOT in june so may need to change them back if its going to fail

Cheers

Hi, yeh any warning lights on your dashboards will fail an MOT
you can get canbus ones off ebay for about £3 if u dont want the annoying warning.
however im pretty sure you will fail having led bulbs in as they arent 'e'marked whick all road legal bulbs should be, stupid rule i know.
i have them in at the moment not a huge jobe to take them out for the MOT really

these where supposed to be canbus ones, bugger to find ones that work with the bravo it seems, they only cost £3 though so cant complain really, dont really want to go cutting and chopping the loom though just to get LEDs to work, will just keep a set of normal ones in the car :D

I have LED sidelights in my car that are also supposed to be canbus friendly yet they still show a message. what I did is keep the leds while still wiring the normal bulbs in parallel and stick them behind the headlights inside the engine bay. There's a way using a resistor but I chose the easy way to get rid of the warning.

Ive canbus side lights and number plate lights and the dash tells me to check both. Ive also hid's but it says nothing about the headlights. I'll just change them all back for mot.

I got LED sidelights but no message... however the first set I got did give me a message, I guess you have to be lucky

Cainy, have you tried to take them out, turn them over and putting them back in? I think that was a tip on another forum

i have just had two cars with amber warning lights (both airbags) pass at two different MOT stations. i think its still the case that if the warning lights are amber it passes

Airbags for the moment are Pass & advise, until later this year. Warning lights for lights are not a fail as long as the bulb works, or 50 % or the leds work on that side.

Must have tell tail lights to tell you they are on, but not bulb out warning lamps.

Aftermarket HID lamps are still a pass and advise, as at the moment they is no way to tell how bright they are, Only HIDS over a certain lumens require washer & levelling systems, & some vehicles I think nissan have low power hids as stardard and have not washer or levelling system fitted.

Back