General Mot fail - front brake imbalance

Currently reading:
General Mot fail - front brake imbalance

Bearstrangler

Hi all, im looking for some help please. My 2007 ducato failed its mot with a front brake imbalance. It failed on this last time and i ended up having both front calipers replaced which was recommended as a fix from my usual garage guy. It did pass the mot then. Now 7 months later im thinking of selling it and went to get it motd again and it has failed on the same thing. Surely a piar of calipers less than 7 months old wont have siezed up? Admittedly i dont drive it a lot, probably a short trip out most weekends. If its not sticky calipers what else coyld it be? Oh, disks and pads have covered a few thousand miles tops. Any advice appreciated.

O

Hello,

I assume that the braking fluid was changed last year when the calipers were replaced. Were the discs and pads also changed at the same time?

Do you know what was done to the brake before? The flexible brake hoses could be the problem here. They like to swell from the inside and block the fluid from getting back from the caliper. 17 years is a lot for a rubber hose. They are marked no 6 in the ePER. You can check for the appropriate part number with the VIN of your van in this section:

331 BRAKES » 33102 HYDRAULIC BRAKE SYSTEM » 33102/00 BRAKE HYDRAULIC SYSTEM

For my van the part numbers are

1367814080 PIPE !58G
1367815080 PIPE 58G

Apparently it's the same hose for left and right hand side.

But you need to check, as the copy of ePER I just used shows the first line to be the proper for my van with a mention !58G not for the option oversized truck (which I assume is a Maxi), but I do have a Ducato Maxi, so it should rather be the second line, marked as 58G. But I have an idea what it comes from.

There is also a possibility the brakes just need to be thourgly cleaned and checked. They don't like when the car / van does not drive.

In what condition are the brake pads and discs? Do they have any strange wear signs?

Attachments

• Brake hoses.JPG
    Brake hoses.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Hello,

I assume that the braking fluid was changed last year when the calipers were replaced. Were the discs and pads also changed at the same time?

Do you know what was done to the brake before? The flexible brake hoses could be the problem here. They like to swell from the inside and block the fluid from getting back from the caliper. 17 years is a lot for a rubber hose. They are marked no 6 in the ePER. You can check for the appropriate part number with the VIN of your van in this section:

331 BRAKES » 33102 HYDRAULIC BRAKE SYSTEM » 33102/00 BRAKE HYDRAULIC SYSTEM

For my van the part numbers are

1367814080 PIPE !58G
1367815080 PIPE 58G

Apparently it's the same hose for left and right hand side.

But you need to check, as the copy of ePER I just used shows the first line to be the proper for my van with a mention !58G not for the option oversized truck (which I assume is a Maxi), but I do have a Ducato Maxi, so it should rather be the second line, marked as 58G. But I have an idea what it comes from.

There is also a possibility the brakes just need to be thourgly cleaned and checked. They don't like when the car / van does not drive.

In what condition are the brake pads and discs? Do they have any strange wear signs?
Hi, thank you for taking the time to reply. I went about this the wrong way really. Ive just had a look and the lower spring clips (not sure what its called) that the pads slide in was awol so the pads have worn unevenly and are knackered. Changing disks and pads is about the limit of my meghanical know how! The disks are alright but the caliper carriage along with almost everything in sight was badly corroded, i dont think the old girl has got many economical mots left in her after this one.

So can anyone tell me what the spring clip thingy is called so i know what to ask for in the shop?

That's the front brake (without the disc):

1708266643627.png

Is the spring you're talking about marked as number 6?

The spring looks like this:

1708266739717.png

If so, they have the original repair kit, the part number is 77365104.

But again, you have to confirm it is the right one for your van, as they messed with the brakes :D

It is normal that the parts corrode. On every car / van.

On my daily car the disc corrodes and the rust builds up on the edge so badly, that it then touches some part of the suspension and makes a strange noise :D It needs hammering / filing once per year at least :D

There should be another repair kit with the elements marked A, B, A-B etc.

That's the front brake (without the disc):

View attachment 438540
Is the spring you're talking about marked as number 6?

The spring looks like this:

View attachment 438541

If so, they have the original repair kit, the part number is 77365104.

But again, you have to confirm it is the right one for your van, as they messed with the brakes :D

It is normal that the parts corrode. On every car / van.

On my daily car the disc corrodes and the rust builds up on the edge so badly, that it then touches some part of the suspension and makes a strange noise :D It needs hammering / filing once per year at least :D

There should be another repair kit with the elements marked A, B, A-B etc.
Yep that looks like the bits i need. Thank you for the help and diagrams, much appreciated 🙏.
O

Back