Mk2 punto 1.2 8v sounds like diesel

Currently reading:
Mk2 punto 1.2 8v sounds like diesel

bonez

Hi all my car sounds like a diesel I have been told by people on here tappet shims... Any1 else have any ideas of why sounds like this ? Or where the best place to get it sorted in bristol uk

Bonez

have you checked the water pump as they sound like that when they on the way out

have you checked the water pump as they sound like that when they on the way out
maybe it could be another place to look no one other than you has mentioned water pump for sounding like diesel engine . How could I test this?. I was also thinking maybe the exhaust system ? .. Thanks for reply

Bonez

when was the last time it had a service?
it had service around a month ago.. Plugs air filter oil filter oil change ... But it hasnt had tappets done in service and in my punto book it saysi they was due for check at the milage im at but didnt think tappets would cause it to sound like diesel ...

Bonez

get large screw driver and place it over the left engine mount and handle to ur ear, if it louder round the mount then look at pump bearing might be causing the noise, place the screw driver again over the rocker cover if it less noise in that area it helps to pin point the noise, i thought mine was a loose bolt or somthing like that but might be worth the listen, or ask a mate to help u, my pump took under 1 hr to complete but new timing belt would be adivsed, so allow 2 hrs in total if the noise u discribe is coming from mount area.

get large screw driver and place it over the left engine mount and handle to ur ear, if it louder round the mount then look at pump bearing might be causing the noise, place the screw driver again over the rocker cover if it less noise in that area it helps to pin point the noise, i thought mine was a loose bolt or somthing like that but might be worth the listen, or ask a mate to help u, my pump took under 1 hr to complete but new timing belt would be adivsed, so allow 2 hrs in total if the noise u discribe is coming from mount area.
thanks i think im just going to take to garage annoying me to much now lol did your sound like a proper diesel yes? if I upload a video for you to hear would you be able to tell me if sounds simular ??
So would I be looking at 2 hrs labour at a garage then do you think?

Bonez

it should not any longer than to do, remember if if the job 2 hrs 15 they charge for 3 hrs, so tie them down on price and parts before you start.

Back