Technical MJ ECU re-programming

Currently reading:
Technical MJ ECU re-programming

The Beard

Prominent member
I've done a quick search on here but can't find anything, so I'll ask the question:

I've had a bit of a flat spot on my MJ Panda from about 1000 up to 1800 (peak torque) revs followed by a loss of power and an orange engine warning light coming on as you get to around 3000 rpm. under full throttle acceleration.

Having said that, it'll also suffer from a loss of power followed by the warning light at full throttle openings at around 2500 rpm in 4th or 5th.

When I originally had it diagnosed by my mechanic, the fault code read that it was a turbo pressure sensor valve (I think). He replaced it with an aftermarket part which lasted all of 20 miles. I took it back and he replaced it with a genuine part, which lasted around 100 miles before it went again.

Everbody I've spoken to who seems to know (sort of) what they're doing seems to think it's an ECU fault as on subsequent occasions when it's done the same thing the fault codes have been different, ranging from one that said the brakes were on while accelerating, they weren't and neither were the brake lights on, to a code that seems to have belonged on a Ford Focus.

I'm wondering if one of these ECU re-programming doofahs will do the trick instead. The car has so far covered 81,000 miles.

Any ideas?

use a long screw driver from underneath and give the actuator rod a tweak to make sure its not stuck

Sorry, should have said, the following already checked.

Actuator not stuck

EGR valve.....or, er, the other thingy if the Panda MJ doesn't have an EGR valve.

Both functioning normally.

The flat spot is slowly but surely being accompanied by erratic idle until the engine is up to normal operating temperature. This has happened before and may be a MAF sensor.

Last edited:
MJ does have an EGR. Its location is under the intake on the right side, you can check its function via OBD.

Have you checked all turbo hoses and gaskets?
Might have a boost leak.
get a spray bottle with 50-50 fairy liquid and water in, spray everything and then get some one to load the engine up with the clutch and hand break, any bubbles and it's leaky leaky time, Just and idea and cost £0.00 :shrug:
You can do the easy start spray test to see if the idle picks up but some leaks only show under load.

Have you checked all turbo hoses and gaskets?
Might have a boost leak.
get a spray bottle with 50-50 fairy liquid and water in, spray everything and then get some one to load the engine up with the clutch and hand break, any bubbles and it's leaky leaky time, Just and idea and cost £0.00 :shrug:
You can do the easy start spray test to see if the idle picks up but some leaks only show under load.
That's a good idea. Not only might I find the source of the problem.....but I'll get a free underbonnet wash :)

Back