General marea weekend hlx wanted

Currently reading:
General marea weekend hlx wanted

F1ANG

Hi guys.

I'm looking to buy a weekend hlx (preferably 20v petrol version) but I'm open to diesel versions too. None on the web take my fancy and I'm sick to the back teath of lying dodgey traders :mad:

She's Got to be well looked after, solid underneath (rust free) have some tax and test, service history and had the belts done in the last year.

Besides that, I'm not fussed. I'm looking to buy late jan to early feb.

So if anybody has a decent one there willing to part with around that time, please do let me know :)

Thanks mate.

That one has being for sale a while, I enquired about it at the begging of last year, its also on ebay and autotrader. It's advertised at 120k+ miles, but according to the trader selling it, the odometer stopped working in 2010 so god only knows what the true milage is.

Tbh mate, I'll never buy from a trader again. Too many bad experiences.

I Apriciate your help :)

iowned one about 7 years ago, 2.0 20v (saloon)
imiss that car, it sounded like a ferrari,

never seen another one the same for sale again,

make sure cambelt is ok and has been changed if you find one,
they are a nightmare to change ;)

Yeah it's a good engine, and I'm well aware about the belts don't worry! My current daily is a 360 bhp 20vt coupe, I've had two 20v N/A coupes and two bravo 20v hgt's, I know what there like for space under the bonnet etc :)

I've just sorned and stored my coupe for the winter, I was hoping to find a decent marea weekend to replace it as a daily, also something to cart all my stuff around, fire the dog in etc...

We'll just have to see what comes first, a marea or a 156 sportwagon :)

you have a better chance to find an alfa 156 than a marea
is already a rare car and top 20v spec are even rarer
i drove the 2.4 marea jtd and that was brilliant too!!

I know mate, there are tons of sportwagons for sale and some nice ones too, but at heart, im fiat through and through! And know my 5 pots inside out. As beefy as I imagine the 2.4 to be, if I were to go for a diesel, it would be for economy only, so rather than the 2.4 in both marea or sportwagon I'd go for the 1.9 jtd in the marea, or same or even the 1.9 m-jet in the alfa, as there nippy too! I'm just going to wait it out.

Better to be patient and buy the right car, than settle for 2nd best and later regret it. Ideally I'd like a 20v weekend, 147 or VIS not bothered, well looked after with some extras, HID's nice alloys etc... Maybe a few subtle mods... Must be someone thinking of selling lol!

Not really in a rush to buy, so I'll wait a while see if anything pops up :)

Having owned 1.9jtd versions of the Alfa and Marea as well as 2.4jtd versions of both I'd go 5 pot any day. Incidentally, a JTD 130 Marea will have your 20v petrol for breakfast in every day motoring - lots of torque wherever you need it. The 150bhp version of the 10v JTD in the Alfa works far better than the later 20v JTD.

How would you say the 2.4 130 marea is on fuel? Compared to the petrol 20v?

I always thought the 2.4's performance vs it's economy wouldn't be worth the fuel it uses for the performance you get, as I've heard mixed reviews of them being both good and bad (how you drive iti guess) but if it's as good as you say, think I'll test drive one before making any desicions.

Does anybody know how much heavier the marea is compared to the bravo? Thinking about it, In a heavier car low down torque is what you need really. I'm going to test drive both if I can :)

In the Marea 130JTD I used to return 45-48mpg regularly on rural roads, with the Alfa it was more like 48-51mpg with the 150bhp 10v unit (late series 1 car).
I do apply a decent amount of welly - and hilly Mid wales roads do no favours on the economy front.
Petrol 20v in the same circumstances 25-26mpg. I rest my case...

By the way, the 1.9 16v JTD did quite a bit less - 40-44 mpg and it needed revs...

Always reckoned that the estate weighed about 30kg more than the saloon....which in turn was some 50- 80kg heavier than the Bravo.

Might be very wrong though.

Thanks Miguel..... Big help lol (y)

Dragonwagon, thanks alot for the imput! The 2.4 does sound great, and I'll definatley test drive one first chance I get. In all honesty, what did you find the better car sportwagon or weekend? The alfa does look more attractive but the weekend's sprooce up nicely with some subtle changes too... What was better to drive? Faster? More comfortable etc? I mean this will just be a commuting / journy car, wanting to get a few camping trips with the mrs and pooch this year... as long as it has decent economy and pleanty of overtaking power im happy! I love my fiats, could strip a 20v down to a bare block blindfolded, but have very little experience with diesel motors. Currently using my dads 1.9 jtd multipla to drive around in, it's a great car and you can pick them up cheap but I don't need 6 seats (just yet) lol!

Is there anything to look out for when viewing?

Many thanks :)

Thanks Miguel..... Big help lol (y)

Dragonwagon, thanks alot for the imput! The 2.4 does sound great, and I'll definatley test drive one first chance I get. In all honesty, what did you find the better car sportwagon or weekend? The alfa does look more attractive but the weekend's sprooce up nicely with some subtle changes too... What was better to drive? Faster? More comfortable etc? I mean this will just be a commuting / journy car, wanting to get a few camping trips with the mrs and pooch this year... as long as it has decent economy and pleanty of overtaking power im happy! I love my fiats, could strip a 20v down to a bare block blindfolded, but have very little experience with diesel motors. Currently using my dads 1.9 jtd multipla to drive around in, it's a great car and you can pick them up cheap but I don't need 6 seats (just yet) lol!

Is there anything to look out for when viewing?

Many thanks :)

It depends on what you want really.... the Marea has the best load space and is infinitely more practical as a load carrier than the 156, has a reasonable ride / handling compromise and is ultimately the simpler, tougher car if you can find one.

The 156 sadly is simply streets ahead on the road with much better grip, ride, handling and traction control (much needed with the 2.4's torque). It does suffer badly from suspension wear, droplinks, upper wishbones, rear links and bushes being the main culprits. If it has any bangs / knocking from the suspension - it needs work. Wheel alignment can be difficult to set properly and easy to lose. The sports suspension often found on 2.4JTD wagons is good, looks cool but offers negligible ground clearance.
All the rest will be the usual Italian car caveats. Try to get a 2.4 10v JTD 150bhp if you can (02 -53 plate).
If at all possible avoid the later 2.4 20v Diesel found in the facelifted cars - engine problems are not unknown, driveshafts are made of cheese (PSA origin!) and various other ailments that never affected series 1 156's to any great extent...

Happy hunting - probably be easier to settle on a Sportwagon!

Last edited:
But guys....the sound

And that is with stock everything, not even modified airbox.

Back