Technical Marea Clutch Failure

Currently reading:
Technical Marea Clutch Failure

KevS

Recently had a clutch kit replaced on my 2001 1.9JTD Marea from my normally reliable mechanic about 4 weeks. Last week while entering a shopping centre I was manoeuvring into a parking spot in 1st gear and I could feel the clutch wasn't engaging as expected while I was releasing the pedal. As I released the pedal fully the car just about moved forward slowly. Got into the parking spot, slipped it into reverse to straighten up and BOOM...the clutch just went, car stalled and the got stuck in gear. It was well and truly stuck in gear until I attempted to start the engine again and it jerked back into neutral fortunately.
I didn't get to do anything else with it at the time as I was in the back end of nowhere and didn't want to get it stuck in gear again. I hope to be tackling this job in the next few days with a bit of help from others. Unfortunately my mechanic is back home in Ireland and I'm now working over in Wales.Having thought about this I'm thinking the thrust bearing may have just slipped possibly resulting from a poor install or bad clutch. I'm unsure about what damage this may have done to the other components of the clutch but not too optimistic.
Just wondering has anyone experienced something similar and could share their experiences with me. Or if someone has a different diagnosis and could tell me what to look out for.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, its an hydraulic clutch but that's not the problem. That problem happened me about 2 years ago and so I'm familiar with it. I wish this fix was as simple as that one

How many miles has the car done? Did he check the amount of play on the flywheel ?

There was 181k on it when the clutch was replaced 4 weeks ago. Afterwards the mechanic did say that there was a crack appearing on the flywheel which he welded up. He didn't mention anything else about it.

What are you suggesting?

At the end of the day the gearbox will have to come off to see what the problem is. This car has a DMF ( Dual Mass Flywheel) flywheel its like two flywheels in one, it has two big springs between the two, its there to protect the transmission. I think that is probably your problem especially if you say it has been welded.

Back