Technical Main fuse box - fuse allocations

Currently reading:
Technical Main fuse box - fuse allocations

G1KEA

Hi all, first post from me,

I'm after a permanent 12v preferably from under the dash to power a two way radio (amateur radio transceiver). I currently have it connected in to the power socket but want to hard wire it.

I have read various threads and looking for an easy option. In my user manual it only lists two fuses for the main fuse box under the bonnet,
F10 - horn
F84 - power supply for cigar light / power socket

The US owners manual lists all fuses and interestingly you can have the power outlet pemanent or switched just by moving a fuse.
F10 - horn
F23 - power outlet (battery powered, customer installed)
F84 - power outlet (ignition powered)

Does anyone know the full fuse listing for the 500x? I have not taken the cover of the fuse box yet and metered this fuse position as I'd like to know it's official designation first.

So you think the European fuse number allocation could be different from the US spec? Interesting. My car is the US spec and I can't be of much help here, but I can confirm that it indeed allows to use the battery power by switching F84 to F23.

Hi all, first post from me,

I'm after a permanent 12v preferably from under the dash to power a two way radio (amateur radio transceiver). I currently have it connected in to the power socket but want to hard wire it.

I have read various threads and looking for an easy option. In my user manual it only lists two fuses for the main fuse box under the bonnet,

F10 - horn

F84 - power supply for cigar light / power socket

The US owners manual lists all fuses and interestingly you can have the power outlet pemanent or switched just by moving a fuse.

F10 - horn

F23 - power outlet (battery powered, customer installed)

F84 - power outlet (ignition powered)

Does anyone know the full fuse listing for the 500x? I have not taken the cover of the fuse box yet and metered this fuse position as I'd like to know it's official designation first.

I can't answer any of your questions, but this post in response to hardwiring a dashcam may help. It also seems to make a difference which version of the 500X you have

Where's the f'ing fuse box

https://www.fiatforum.com/showthread.php?t=440297

Dash Cam in 500x

https://www.fiatforum.com/showthread.php?t=458876

Hi thanks, I've had a good search of the forum and read those threads too and also the tow bar thread. I'm after a supply from the battery that can handle up to 14 amps and if by a miracle you can install F23 instead of F84 that would be great. Years ago i'd have gone straight to the battery but there seems no easy route for the cable in to the car.

I'm after a supply from the battery that can handle up to 14 amps and if by a miracle you can install F23 instead of F84 that would be great.

What could possibly go wrong if you just try and move the switch to the F23 as designated in the US spec? Just curious, what's the worst case scenario here?

What could possibly go wrong if you just try and move the switch to the F23 as designated in the US spec? Just curious, what's the worst case scenario here?

I suppose worst case is it could cost me money :eek:

Seriously though I'd rather know what the fuse position is for before putting a fuse in. To be honest though I haven't had the cover off yet.

I suppose worst case is it could cost me money :eek:

Seriously though I'd rather know what the fuse position is for before putting a fuse in. To be honest though I haven't had the cover off yet.

These couple of days I've also been looking for any kind of info on the fuse designation and nothing turns up except the list provided by the US owner's manual. I'm beginning to think that maybe that list applies to all models and that may be the reason why no alternative list seems to exist online.

Anyway, let's think for a second here. The EU/UK manual lists only a few noteworthy fuses, while omitting the rest, and all those fuses which are listed coincide with the US spec. My theory is that there is only one common designation, it's just the EU manual doesn't list it fully, while the US one does, for whatever reason.

One way to make absolutely sure would be to call the FIAT support and ask them if the fuse designations differ by region and if they do, where can a full EU/UK list be obtained.

So I had a friendly chat with the UK support just now regarding this subject. Apparently, they have a policy of not divulging any kind of technical information which is not included in the manual. Consequently, they redirected me to a local dealership.

Attachments

• FuseChatSupport.png
    FuseChatSupport.png
    40 KB · Views: 71
And moments ago I had another chat, this time with Polish support, but they asked for my VIN number. :D

Attachments

• 2018-04-17_20h38_46.png
    2018-04-17_20h38_46.png
    35 KB · Views: 40
I work in the electronics industry and we have different technical manuals for the model equipment but different years. Circuit boards can change component layout and designations. Similarly with the car they want the VIN to get the exact model. If I can finish work early I will call in to the dealership and ask the question and see what they say.

I work in the electronics industry and we have different technical manuals for the model equipment but different years. Circuit boards can change component layout and designations. Similarly with the car they want the VIN to get the exact model. If I can finish work early I will call in to the dealership and ask the question and see what they say.

Why not just pull F84, confirm socket is dead with ignition on and off, then put a low rating fuse in F23 with ignition off and see if socket becomes live. If it does not pull F23 and think of something else. If the socket is live ignition off start the engine and check again. Worst thing that could happen is a blown fuse. If you are really worried put a 5W side light bulb across the F23 position (F84 pulled) you should still see 12V at the socket with a meter and if there is any other load the bulb will glow and voltage drop.
Interestingly, putting a fuse in both positions would make the ignition live. This could be abused (enough said) which may be why it's not in the UK manual.

Robert G8RPI.

By the way, for some reason my 12V socket is blowing the F84 fuse and now I'm thinking about switching it to the F23, at least temporarily, until the dealership sorts it out.

Why not just pull F84, confirm socket is dead with ignition on and off, then put a low rating fuse in F23 with ignition off and see if socket becomes live. If it does not pull F23 and think of something else. If the socket is live ignition off start the engine and check again. Worst thing that could happen is a blown fuse. If you are really worried put a 5W side light bulb across the F23 position (F84 pulled) you should still see 12V at the socket with a meter and if there is any other load the bulb will glow and voltage drop.
Interestingly, putting a fuse in both positions would make the ignition live. This could be abused (enough said) which may be why it's not in the UK manual.

Robert G8RPI.

Good idea, i'll see what size the fuses are and have a look when I get a chance. Could always meter it out if the NA manual claims it only feeds the power socket. In the mean time I'd still like to know the official designation in UK spec cars.

By the way Robert do you operate /M?

Last edited:
Well I had the fuse box cover off for the first time since having this car, I thought the fuses would have been on the top and not on the side. Not much room to work there with the washer bottle neck in the way.

I need to get some small blade fuses I can use for getting lamps and test leads on but so far F84 (20A) is permanent live so i'm assuming it is switched through to the socket by the small red relay T17 or larger black relay T07 (50A rated). These are adjacent to the fuses F84 and F23. Where F23 would plug in there is permanent 12v on one side. When I can reliably get a test lead on to the other side of F23 i'll check if there is continuity through to the DC socket.

Robert, i'll post or send some pictures of the radio installation - it may encourage you to install yours :)

Well I had the fuse box cover off for the first time since having this car, I thought the fuses would have been on the top and not on the side. Not much room to work there with the washer bottle neck in the way.

It's a horrible design. I had to squeeze my smartphone in and take a picture to actually see what's going on in the fuse panel.

Back