Technical Lost my keys to old X1/9 - how to make new key or replace locks?

Currently reading:
Technical Lost my keys to old X1/9 - how to make new key or replace locks?

I have and early 1970s Fiat X19 with original door locks. After I moved and parked my car last year, I made the dumb mistake of not hanging the keys with my other car keys. Thought it better to store them some place where they wouldn't get mixed up with the regular car keys, but somehow, no matter where I search, I can't find them. So the car sits under cover, locked up, but unable to be moved.

Does anyone know what kind of keying this is or what kind of locksmith to request service from? I know I only had one key before, and it was a flimsy, easily bent aluminum key, so I definately want to get something better. The door key worked for both doors and the hatch releases. I don't know how easily it will be to replace the cylinders once I get the car unlocked, but that's an additional concern.

First things first - what is the best economical way to get my car unlocked? And how does one get a new key for the existing lock?

Thanks,
Edward Thorpe
SF Bay Area, CA

Over here we'd call a mobile auto. locksmith. They can open the car and cut a key to fit the doorlocks. Possibly also do one for the ignition switch while there with you.

Can you get at least one door open - coat hanger wire around door seal and lift lock button or pull handle on opposite side door to open?

If you lift the outer door handle, is there any gap that you can poke something in through, to move the lock link to open the door?

There are unlocking kits (like car thieves use) legitimately available to garages and vehicle towing services, try asking a local 'shop? Some police forces also carry these tools and know how to open most vehicles - know any cops?

Some of the older Fiat ignition switches had a small metal disc stamped with the key number fitted between the lock cylinder and the switch part of the ignition switch assembly. It might be possible to unscrew or unclip the switch part from the ignition switch assembly to access this plate and hence get the key number. An auto locksmith should be able to cut a new key from the number (will possibly also need to see the lock cylinder to select the correct blank).

If you have membership of a breakdown service, some will deal with being locked out of your car at home due to lost keys. I'm not sure if the car in question has to be covered or if it's the driver who's covered. (I'm in Ireland so things might be different in the U.S.).

Easiest solution is to find the original keys? Might the key numbers be written down on any of the vehicle documents (Registration, sales receipt, service booklet, inside Owner's Handbook etc.)?

AL.

Back