Technical Lose Connection Coolant Temp. Sensor Failure

Currently reading:
Technical Lose Connection Coolant Temp. Sensor Failure

stiatfilo

Hi all,

first, let me introduce myself, since I'm a newbie. I'm 20, live in Spain and drive a 2003 Fiat Stilo Dynamic 1.6.

I got this car of my mom not too long ago and it has some problems. I feel like it doesn't run smoothly when idle and when starting it I seem to hear a crunching noise (I'm pretty sure it has done that all along tho).

My biggest concern however is that it says Lose Connection Coolant Temp. Sensor Failure. It has been doing that for a while now but my mom has always continued to drive with it. At first I didn't mind but the weather is starting to warm up and after every ride the engine seems to be hotter than it should be.

Does anybody know what is wrong and what I can do about it? I know there are similar threads but none of them concern my exact problem or give a clear answer. As soon as I start my car my temps gauge runs up and then stays slap bang in the middle.

Many thanks in advance!

Can anybody help me? The car is now starting to shut off when idle, ie when im waiting at the traffic light, parking etc... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Your car has detected a problem with your engine temperature sensor circuit so that's the problem. I would check the ETS connector and give it a clean up with electrical contact cleaner and I would check its return voltage or resistance at set temperatures. If the sensor never indicates above normal then the radiator cooling fans won't come on when they should and the engine will struggle to idle if it is getting the wrong engine temp information
eng temp v resistance 1.6.JPG
ETS resistance v temp

Thanks a lot! I'll look into after the weekend (won't have time till then unfortunately) But untill then i do have another question: how bad is it for the car to keep driving it like this? mostly short distance, tops 30min drives (with highway).
Again, thanks a lot deckchair!

It's never a good idea to drive a car with an undiagnosed cooling fault, but if you must drive it, turn the heater to hot and the blower fan to full speed. May make it uncomfortable inside the car but it will take some of the heat away from the engine.

Back