Uno Looking for Uno 45 Gearbox replacement.

Currently reading:
Uno Looking for Uno 45 Gearbox replacement.

kenthemodel

Hi, folks! Very new to this, please be understanding. I have a 89 Uno 45 with I think is a Fire engine. 4 speed box, mechanical clutch linkage and rod gear change.
It's got a very sick gearbox! Very noisy when in neutral and engaged. But disappears
when I floor the clutch in neutral. Also leaking oil from main input seal. So I'm guessing
Main bearing gone.
Here goes, Question!

Is it worth thinking about rebuilding the box or having it rebuilt?

Would I be better looking for a second hand box, and since mine's only 4 speed, try looking for a 5 speed.? I know of a 5 speed Uno being broken locally ( SE23 if any one is interested, it's going for scrap ) but it's a later model with hydraulic clutch and cable/rod gear change, too much to take on board for my transplant?
Also I've heard X19 and panda boxes are a possibility?
And any ideas on sourcing one would much appreciated!
Also is this the right place to be asking this?
Many thanks, Ken.

Hi, folks! Very new to this, please be understanding. I have a 89 Uno 45 with I think is a Fire engine. 4 speed box, mechanical clutch linkage and rod gear change.
It's got a very sick gearbox! Very noisy when in neutral and engaged. But disappears
when I floor the clutch in neutral. Also leaking oil from main input seal. So I'm guessing
Main bearing gone.
Here goes, Question!

Is it worth thinking about rebuilding the box or having it rebuilt?

Would I be better looking for a second hand box, and since mine's only 4 speed, try looking for a 5 speed.? I know of a 5 speed Uno being broken locally ( SE23 if any one is interested, it's going for scrap ) but it's a later model with hydraulic clutch and cable/rod gear change, too much to take on board for my transplant?
Also I've heard X19 and panda boxes are a possibility?
And any ideas on sourcing one would much appreciated!
Also is this the right place to be asking this?
Many thanks, Ken.

Sorry I can't help with the technicalities, but as I understand it from the Classic Panda section, all the Fire engines and gearboxes can be put together easily (a later 1.2 16v Punto engine has just been bolted to my 999cc Fire gearbox - not by me!!).

There's a lot of Fire engined knowledge in the Classic Panda section, and you might be better putting a question in there as quite a few people have changed engines & gearboxes. (y)

Back