Technical Looking for Monza Exhaust Advice

Currently reading:
Technical Looking for Monza Exhaust Advice

164Abarth

Hi Guys, my first post since picking up my Abarth!

So when I bought the car it had a straight through back box. It sounded good, but I've had neighbours complain about quieter cars I've had before, so I decided to change it to a standard exhaust as soon as i got it home, just to keep the peace. Since then, I've been tempted my a Record Monza Exhaust, best of both worlds! Found a nice stainless one for a good price so picked it up.

But I hadn't fully realised what the fitment would require! It's a later vacuum actuated one, which looks to be a pain to plumb in. I understand it is naturally open when there is no vacuum, and then closes at around 0.8bar. Id like to have it open on the sport button, but it sounds very complicated, so I may have to go for a simpler solution. If anyone has managed to retrofit the vacuum operated Monza with the valve working, id be interested in hearing how you managed it!

The options I can think of,

1. Leave vacuum actuator disconnected, the valve would stay open. Not really worth it, I expect I'll be getting complaints from neighbors in no time!

2. Vacuum line run from intake, it should shut the valve on startup. When positive intake pressure is produced by the turbo, it should open the valve. I'm not sure whether this positive pressure connected straight to the exhaust actuator could cause it any damage.

3. A small vacuum pump fitted somewhere, which could be operated by a switch on the dash. Downside is it would always have to be running to keep the valve closed.

4. Try to connect a small vacuum pump to sport button. I understand the sport button is a momentary signal to the ECU. So I might have to connect the coil of a latching relay to the button, but Id be slightly worried of messing up signals to the ECU, wouldn't want to kick up any faults if I can help it!

I've seen the kits on a keyfob but turning the system on / off while you're on the go sounds like a pain!

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I do realise now that going for the temperamental spring operated Monza would have been the smarter move!!

Back