General Long term storage - Jack locations for 1988 Fiat Panda? Other advice?

Currently reading:
General Long term storage - Jack locations for 1988 Fiat Panda? Other advice?

miks

Hi all. I have a restored 1988 Fiat Panda Sisley. I'm going to have to put the car in long term storage - perhaps as long as a year or more. I was thinking of putting the car on some jack stands. Just wondering if anyone has a diagram of the best locations for those stands? Also, anything else I should know about long term storage? The car will likely be outside, but under a roof. I've read a bit about long term storage online generally - sounds like it's recommended to top up the fuel and put in a fuel stabilizer, wrap the wipers with cloth, etc. Anything else, particularly with these older Pandas? Thanks! (Pic for attention - that's our Panda next to a typical 4x4 here in Oregon. Crazy.)
IMG_0538.JPG

hmm does it have a tow bar? i usually do 2 axle stands on the sump protector and one on the rear tow bar. i know its only 3 but its a light car..
Hi Dragon Man - It does not have a tow bar. I was planning to get 4 2-ton jack stands (overkill, but looks like they don't make them smaller). I assumed I could put those wherever it is recommended to jack the car up when changing a tire (?).

hmm the panda only has one jacking point on each side. thats the little square hole in the middle of the sill under the doors. the front is not the hard part its the rear. the engine sump protector is more than capable of supporting the car (i should know) but theres nothing on the rear of the car really besides the rear axle. i would stay well away from the rear of the sills for jacking points they were never designed for it on a panda. you may be able to get an axle/jack stand on the front leaf spring mounting point.. im not sure if that would work.
if its anything, my panda Talon has been sat on its own 4 wheels for the past 8 years now. i have just bought new tyres for it and fitted them as i plan to get it road going again. these cars seem to fair quite well not being sat up on stands.

hmm the panda only has one jacking point on each side. thats the little square hole in the middle of the sill under the doors. the front is not the hard part its the rear. the engine sump protector is more than capable of supporting the car (i should know) but theres nothing on the rear of the car really besides the rear axle. i would stay well away from the rear of the sills for jacking points they were never designed for it on a panda. you may be able to get an axle/jack stand on the front leaf spring mounting point.. im not sure if that would work.
if its anything, my panda Talon has been sat on its own 4 wheels for the past 8 years now. i have just bought new tyres for it and fitted them as i plan to get it road going again. these cars seem to fair quite well not being sat up on stands.
Hi Dragon Man - thanks for your additional input.
Noted that the side square hole points in the middle of the sill under the doors are good spots. Also noted the engine sump is good. I'll have to see about the rear.
The reason for storage is we are heading overseas - it could be for 6~12 months, but potentially more if we love it there (considering a move to Holland). If it were a year or even 2 do you think there's any real issue with leaving the car on it's tires (sound like maybe not)? I guess I thought the tires would go flat and then get flat spots and be ruined, but maybe not just after a year or even 2? The tires were brand new when we got the car so they are probably only a year old now. I also thought getting the car off the ground (will be stored outside, but under a roof) might help mitigate rodents getting into the engine, etc. Thanks.

ahh yeah, i didnt think about the tyres. well when it comes to suspension i would not worry. just jack it up on the rear axle. i would put the jack stands on the rear dampeners. with a hockey puck on each so not to chip the paint. to be fair, you could do the same for the front too. just put the jack stands on the lower arms.

For lifting on a two post lift, therefore two arms fore, two aft, then the jacking points are the sill flanges. Lifting on the rear axle is fine but put some rubber on the stand tops (just stops metal to metal contact and possible rust).
I once saw a friends dad, who had a 60’s lotus, suspend his car on old tyres stacked two high, it worked for him for, as relayed by friend, it had been on them for two years before he recommissioned it

Hi all. I have a restored 1988 Fiat Panda Sisley. I'm going to have to put the car in long term storage - perhaps as long as a year or more. I was thinking of putting the car on some jack stands. Just wondering if anyone has a diagram of the best locations for those stands? Also, anything else I should know about long term storage? The car will likely be outside, but under a roof. I've read a bit about long term storage online generally - sounds like it's recommended to top up the fuel and put in a fuel stabilizer, wrap the wipers with cloth, etc. Anything else, particularly with these older Pandas? Thanks! (Pic for attention - that's our Panda next to a typical 4x4 here in Oregon. Crazy.)
View attachment 425115
Hi Miks, I'm in Portland with a Panda arriving soon. Check your DMs if you're interested in connecting. Ciao!

Back