General Knocking noise from bottom of engine bay - Uno Turbo

Currently reading:
General Knocking noise from bottom of engine bay - Uno Turbo

Gun_Metal_Grey

I have a 1990 Uno Turbo that makes a knocking like sound each time I go over a pot hole or when the car is pulling off in say second gear.
Sounds like it is coming from the front left side of engine bay.

Any ideas

BTW, Could it be related to a crack in CV boot which I never got round to replacing?

jack the car up.find a suitable long bar,and see if you can move any of the joints around the left front.could be bottom ball joint,track control arm,anti roll bar bush,any wear on the tyre? :)

I agree with M@nticore, I suggest the rear mounting (bolted to the subframe) - put a jack under the gearbox to take the weight, and you should be able to remove the mounting with a 13mm socket.

Any problems should be obvious on inspection - the one I replaced on a Mk2 Uno Turbo had ripped the centre out of the metal washer that's built into the rubber.

When I've had problems with the control arm balljoint, there's usually a change in the steering feel/behaviour - and it's less likely to be related to pulling away in second gear. Also, in the worst cases you can feel/see movement in the balljoint by pulling/pushing on the left-front wheel with the car jacked up. But Steve is right, it's always a possibility.

-Alex

Thanks Guys

Looks like the gearbox mount (Fiat Part #7571250)is completly worn! Rubber ring has parished away.

I have rang 6 dealers...no one has this part. Also its £28 in VAT!

Rang GGB in Bradford, and even they do not stock :eek:

Looks similar to a rear suspension mount, but 5 times the cost!

Does anyone know anywhere else I can buy from, around london?

gearboxmount4kg.jpg

Last edited:
Ah yes, there it is. Great photo!

I sold one to a guy selling his Uno Turbo here. The price was $20 fitted (that's about seven quid). I was competing with the same thing sold on Trademe for $20 also!

I fitted one from an Uno 45. I bet you could get away with the same - so take it from a wrecked 45 or someone's parts collection. It's probably a rare failure on the 45, but on the Turbo the gearbox is much heavier - so is the engine - and there's more torque reaction for it to endure. What I'm saying is that a second-hand part from a 45 should be OK, even though yours was worn-out.

Worth fixing ASAP incidentally, otherwise your exhaust might crack somewhere expensive...

Thanks,
-Alex

:) I know where you can get this mount for a non turbo Uno ;)

http://www.shop4parts.co.uk sell them for £17.90 + VAT + postage.

I’ve heard they are softer than the turbo ones, which is why I didn’t mention it before. They may be able to get the proper one in if you e-mail them, as I’ve had things off them not listed on their pages.

Regards,
Louie.

PS, I wonder how much Alex is betting :p

Ahhhhh... thanks Louie for pointing that out :eek:

I had a feeling that there may be a difference since I noticed that the front mount on my Turbo was more robust than for other models... also it would make sense for the mountings to be stronger due to the weight difference.

I think if it was me I'd buy the correct new part as you said, except that I'm so short of money I'd try to make do with a second-hand 'normal' one - at least it will fit OK and when installed on the Mk2 Turbo I worked on, it seemed to look and behave normally. So, I'll bet NZ$10 that it'll work. :)

Thanks,
-Alex

Thanks for everyone's input on this topic.

I bought the part from Ricambi in surrey, they were the only company I spoke to that had it in stock! I think it best, like alexGS said, to buy the right part, saving both time and energy.

Changing the gearbox mount did not stop the knocking noise :(

Me and my bro jacked up the car today to examine under the engine bay. Removed the front gearbox mounting, and found it was fine.

The sound seems to come from the beneath the center console ...thought it was the exhaust where the down pipe joins the mid section. However we could NOT see any signs of knocking.

Last edited:
so had the perished gearbox mount been causing any noticeable problems after all? seems strange that the noises wouldn't have been partly attributed to it...

Bad luck on not getting it though :(.... I've got the same noise in my 1.0 mk2 but haven't had the chance (or the weather) to get it jacked up yet to take a look.

Just spent the day changing the wishbone on my uno....this fixed the knocking noise problem.

Also changed the CV Boot as the other had a slight crack.

BTW does anyone wanna buy a G reg uno turbo met blue with genuine 90k??

PM if interested.

Guys my uno has a bad vibration cumn frm da leften side tht usualy cum whn u turn 2 much the car shifts out of gear n goe 2 neutral could da problm be the gear mount?

Guys my uno has a bad vibration cumn frm da leften side tht usualy cum whn u turn 2 much the car shifts out of gear n goe 2 neutral could da problm be the gear mount?

Yes - maybe the mounting shown in the photo above. Please try not to post about the same problem on several threads at once - I can see you're new here so I'll let you off this time. ;)
Well done for searching.

-Alex

Tnx 4 da hlp guys i chngd da gear mount n ma car is bck 2 normal;)

Back