General Is this a good deal for this Coupe?

Currently reading:
General Is this a good deal for this Coupe?

Just spotted a minor accident damaged coupe for sale, 16v turbo N-reg 92000miles. bumper needs replacing and bonnet. Has a service stamps in the book, but it doesn't say what was done at each service so not sure about cambelt.

rest of the paintwork/bodywork and interior are in pretty good condition overall, though the chrome fuel cap is corroded. Also due to the bump, i couldnt get the bonnet open to have a look at the bay.

best of all its in broom yellow! and i was informed it drives fine. its SORN with no MOT or tax tho.

hes asking £900 for it but he seems willing to negotiate a little.

I have fotos but ive left my mobile in the garage so ill upload in a bit.

Just spotted a minor accident damaged coupe for sale, 16v turbo N-reg 92000miles. bumper needs replacing and bonnet. Has a service stamps in the book, but it doesn't say what was done at each service so not sure about cambelt.

rest of the paintwork/bodywork and interior are in pretty good condition overall, though the chrome fuel cap is corroded. Also due to the bump, i couldnt get the bonnet open to have a look at the bay.

best of all its in broom yellow! and i was informed it drives fine. its SORN with no MOT or tax tho.

hes asking £900 for it but he seems willing to negotiate a little.

I have fotos but ive left my mobile in the garage so ill upload in a bit.

Hi Xen
I deal in damage repairables, but thats not entirely relevant. What is relevant is that I had always wanted a coupe and bought my 1st one a 20v N/A as a Cat D salvage repairable.

1st thing you need to know is has an insurance claim been made on the vehicle,
If so it will be catagorised as an insurance write off. As a C or D classification.

2. Bonnets are incredibly difficult to get hold of and very expensive!

3. If the bonnet and bumper are damaged I would expect to see damage to the slam panel and bolt on bumper supports, also possibly lower chassis sections.
I can't stress enough how important it is to open the bonnet and investigate these areas.

4. I bought a non turbo because with damage repairables service history rarely comes with the car. Although my N/A coupe is utterly mint and I can do all mechanicals myself. However when I bought my 20v turbo I bought one with service history. I have every reciept from a bulb to a cambelt.

I would suggest you ask about the service history. it is critical.

5. dont be assured it drives fine. drive it.

6. by the time its repaired taxed and tested you might be as well buy a mint straight one.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/381006.htm

ps, petrol cap is normal. they can be refurbed.

hope this helps.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Xen
yeh, you make a good point - even if it is just bumper and bonnet (which i think it probably will be as the damage is very slight), i can imagine after buying the parts, having them sprayed, parts to fully servicing the car, MOT fees and tax, it would be near the 1.5k mark anyway.

oh well. if anyone else is interested, its at dewsbury auto spares scrapyard. i reckon if it is reported, it should only be a cat D anyway. they also have a 126 BIS (y)

Last edited:
I got the bonnet open today and can confirm the damage is only to the bumper and bonnet. the aux drive belt looks pretty new so maybe the cambelt was changed at this point? but as i said, theres no proof of it.

Other than that both front tyres need replacing but thats about all i could fault with it without driving it. The gearbox seems fine and light and all the pedals move well (though the accelerator had more resistance than i was expecting.) also noticed one of the headlight adjuster was unplugged so maybe thats faulty.

apparently someone from a coupe forum was there this morning checking it out so 'appen they saw this post :)

oh and the 126 BIS belongs to the yard owner.

Also bear in mind that if it is recorded as a catagory D car, it will be worth less when you come to sell than a non recorded car.

It sounds a bit expensive, and too much of a risk to me, especially as others have said you, can get a good runner from £1000 upwards, and a minter for around £2000.

Last edited:
Also bear in mind that if it is recorded as a catagory D car, it will be worth less when you come to sell than a non recorded car.

This is true. Why though angers me, if a car has been professionally repaired.

If it is a CAT C which is far more likely then it will need a VIC test before you recieve a logbook. When you finally do get a log book, under special notes it will state the car was an insurance write off.

Back