General Is 120 bhp underpowered for a motorhome

Currently reading:
General Is 120 bhp underpowered for a motorhome

gleeson

Evening all. Want to upgrade my 2007 ducato based moho (130 bhp 2.3 multiplex) and have looked at a 3.5 t 2021 moho with the same engine but 120 bhp. Would it be underpowered? My gut feel is to stick out for the same engine (ignoring ford) but the 140 bhp version)? Any thoughts? Many thanks

Agreed better to have a larger engine working stress free than a small motor being thrashed within an inch of its life , be aware that Sevel fitted a 2lt car engine recently from a car unit ...not a good idea ..!

It's probably more about torque than power for that type of vehicle.

We have a vito van at work, and it's only 90bhp. feels slow when loaded. Yet also a NV200 that's also 90bhp and it's very nippy, not a huge difference in size. The vito is fine for motorway type roads, but need up and down the gears on twisty roads, and a bit more low down grunt would make it much nicer to drive..

Evening all. Want to upgrade my 2007 ducato based moho (130 bhp 2.3 multiplex) and have looked at a 3.5 t 2021 moho with the same engine but 120 bhp. Would it be underpowered? My gut feel is to stick out for the same engine (ignoring ford) but the 140 bhp version)? Any thoughts? Many thanks
As vexorg says, the torque is more important in ‘load luggers’ so compare those figures

The other thing to think about Euro 6 130 horses are more guttless than Euro4/5 horses. Having said that i am am happy towing my up! with a guttless euro6 130.
Is it possible to get a test drive on something simular just to alay your fears.

with the same engine but 120 bhp.

Interesting you say same engine , but more horse power . That almost certainly means , it's been factory chipped , so you may find it thirsty . The engine's cubes have not been increased , only the output . I believe 2.2 , 2.3 is pretty much standard in all new Fiats nowadays . Many continental vans had the 130 option , but up until recently , only the standard 120 bhp vans were imported into this country . At 2007 , your van will almost certainly have an ecu , so you could short cut the system , and have your present van chipped . Maybe something to think about , but be aware , both economy and reliability will suffer .

My van has a 2.8 with the same bhp , yet i've managed to get 31 mpg on a 3.5 ton vehicle .

Hi. Quandry:- I find the 2007 2.3 Mj 130bhp underpowered and I am concerned that the newer 2021 2.3mj @ 120bhp will also be underpowered. Regards Shaun

Hi. Quandry:- I find the 2007 2.3 Mj 130bhp underpowered and I am concerned that the newer 2021 2.3mj @ 120bhp will also be underpowered. Regards Shaun
Look at the torque figures, far more important for ‘lugging’ than bhp
My old Iveco daily 2.5td only had 105bhp but could pull a house down and would plod along all day at 70mph and more if needed. And wehn I say pull a house down, I mean we pulled up a steel framed barn with it

Look at the torque figures, far more important for ‘lugging’ than bhp
My old Iveco daily 2.5td only had 105bhp but could pull a house down and would plod along all day at 70mph and more if needed. And wehn I say pull a house down, I mean we pulled up a steel framed barn with it
Will do and thanks

Back