Technical Install 123 Distributor

Currently reading:
Technical Install 123 Distributor

JBLD

Hi there! I have recently overhauled my 500D engine that has been in a pile of bits for the past 3 years. Have just purchased a new electronic ignition, the last piece of the puzzle before i install the engine back into the car..

I have read through the various posts on this but probably have myself more confused if anything.

Is it possible for a kind member to post installation instructions from start to finish? On the basis that there was no old points distributor to remove and mark etc.

Thanks!

The 123 should come with installation instructions but basically from memory you set the engine to 10 degrees before top dead centre using the timing marks then with the distributor installed but loose with the ignition on there is a green led light and you have to find the switching point for the led to turn on and off and tighten the distributor there.

The 123 should come with installation instructions but basically from memory you set the engine to 10 degrees before top dead centre using the timing marks then with the distributor installed but loose with the ignition on there is a green led light and you have to find the switching point for the led to turn on and off and tighten the distributor there.
A warning----ALL the electronic ignition systems, no matter what they cost, suffer from one major flaw---they do not like heat! Their "wilt" point seems to be about 100C, a temperature which the air 'cooling' the engine often attains, and which is then blown over the distributor. I have put a small air-dam inside the thermostat housing (in line with the distributor) which helps keep the flow of hot air away from the distributor----on my engine, (a well tuned 659cc 126 engine) with this 'air-dam'in place, I have never recorded over 95C even after a hard run. I use a 'Laser' thermometer to measure engine temperature

Thanks for the assistance, will give it a crack this weekend. Noted on the heat. Cheers

I might have written one of the previous confusing explanations. I hope this is more stripped-back. Maybe best to ask further questions if you need expanded explanations of the terminology:

1. Turn the engine by hand until the arrow cast into the timing-chain cover aligns with the embossed line on the pulley-cover.
2. Assuming that the valve-clearances are set or reasonably accurately set, check which of the pairs of rockers at this point is able to be wobbled up and down. For instance, if it's the pair closest to the rear of the car we can call this cylinder 1 and vice-versa. We know this cylinder is on the compression stroke and would be the one that needs a spark.
3. Put the 123 in the engine with the rotor-arm pointing towards the engine block. Remove and adjust to compensate for the turn of the helical gears, but aim to get it at 90 degrees to the block.
4. Secure the distributor but just enough to still allow you to turn it.
5. Connect the red wire of the123 to the positive terminal of the coil; the one with a wire from the ignition, which should also then be left on. Don't connect the black wire. Turn on the ignition.
6. Rotate the 123 anti-clockwise until the green LED lights up and can be seen in the gap in the rotating disc.
7. Secure the distributor, turn off the ignition, and connect the black wire to the other terminal of the coil.
8. Connect the HT lead from the coil to the distributor cap.
9. Connect an HT lead from the spark plug on the cylinder previously identified as the one on full compression to the socket on the distributor cap to which the rotor arm is pointing. Connect the second lead to the spark plug on the other cylinder.

There is no need to do any timing adjustments as the chip in the distributor does it for you. But for greater accuracy you should check the advance using a strobe and make minor adjustment the distributor rotation if needed.

Last edited:
I might have written one of the previous confusing explanations. I hope this is more stripped-back. Maybe best to ask further questions if you need expanded explanations of the terminology:

1. Turn the engine by hand until the arrow cast into the timing-chain cover aligns with the embossed line on the pulley-cover.
2. Assuming that the valve-clearances are set or reasonably accurately set, check which of the pairs of rockers at this point is able to be wobbled up and down. For instance, if it's the pair closest to the rear of the car we can call this cylinder 1 and vice-versa. We know this cylinder is on the compression stroke and would be the one that needs a spark.
3. Put the 123 in the engine with the rotor-arm pointing towards the engine block. Remove and adjust to compensate for the turn of the helical gears, but aim to get it at 90 degrees to the block.
4. Secure the distributor but just enough to still allow you to turn it.
5. Connect the red wire of the123 to the positive terminal of the coil; the one with a wire from the ignition, which should also then be left on. Don't connect the black wire. Turn on the ignition.
6. Rotate the 123 anti-clockwise until the green LED lights up and can be seen in the gap in the rotating disc.
7. Secure the distributor, turn off the ignition, and connect the black wire to the other terminal of the coil.
8. Connect the HT lead from the coil to the distributor cap.
9. Connect an HT lead from the spark plug on the cylinder previously identified as the one on full compression to the socket on the distributor cap to which the rotor arm is pointing. Connect the second lead to the spark plug on the other cylinder.

There is no need to do any timing adjustments as the chip in the distributor does it for you. But for greater accuracy you should check the advance using a strobe and make minor adjustment tohedistributor rotation if needed.
Thanks very much for the level of detail. I really appreciate it. I'll get it in this weekend, cheers

A warning----ALL the electronic ignition systems, no matter what they cost, suffer from one major flaw---they do not like heat! Their "wilt" point seems to be about 100C, a temperature which the air 'cooling' the engine often attains, and which is then blown over the distributor. I have put a small air-dam inside the thermostat housing (in line with the distributor) which helps keep the flow of hot air away from the distributor----on my engine, (a well tuned 659cc 126 engine) with this 'air-dam'in place, I have never recorded over 95C even after a hard run. I use a 'Laser' thermometer to measure engine temperature
Any chance you can post a pic of the air-dam you installed? I was thinking of wrapping the 123 with a heat blanket which I already installed around the coil which suffered from heat soak due to the aftermarket exhaust.

Any chance you can post a pic of the air-dam you installed? I was thinking of wrapping the 123 with a heat blanket which I already installed around the coil which suffered from heat soak due to the aftermarket exhaust.
Unfortunately, all my pictures of the dam are on paper (do you remember that?), but if you contact medirect ( [email protected] ) I will post a copy and a copy of the article I wrote concerning it to you

Unfortunately, all my pictures of the dam are on paper (do you remember that?), but if you contact medirect ( [email protected] ) I will post a copy and a copy of the article I wrote concerning it to you
Labman-----I have sorted out my article and a good picture of the 'hot-air-flow' dam (inside the thermostat housing)---just let me know your address and I will put the details into the post to you.

Back