I'm not a Fiat "basher" but I'm a bit aggrieved!!

Currently reading:
I'm not a Fiat "basher" but I'm a bit aggrieved!!

Spudmurphy

First off let me introduce myself as a "newbie".

I owe my life to the crumple zones engineered by Fiat. Got rear ended on a motorway - old biddy fell asleep at the wheel!! Went off the side of a motorway - flew 12 foot amongst some trees and pinballed down a grass bank hitting more trees all the way down and ended up in a field. I got Airlifted (well I always fancied a helicopter ride!) to hospital and survived to tell the story!!

Seat belts saved me (no air bags in the G reg Fiat Uno !!) So a big thank you to Fiat (y) Consequently I bought an 04 Punto when I was fit again (this happened 5 years ago) and still have it now

Photo12_8A.jpg

Photo28_24A.jpg

I'm in my 50's and for 30+ years have been a DIY car mechanic working on Volkswagon Beetles, Minis and Vauxhalls. I try to steer clear of electronics - I draw the line there.

Electronics - that is why I have a gripe and feel a bit aggrieved.

It's the damn passenger airbag warning light. I've researched this and it seems to happen a lot.
Fiat built an 04 car with a cassette player!! Where do you store the cassettes - in the glove box. What happens if you have too much stuff in the glovebox? .. well you guys know the rest - airbag loom is right by "cut outs" in the glove box cavity..
Design flaw? - IMO I think so. Makes me mad that Fiat want to charge so much for what has happened because of a problem in their design. Uhh how about running the cable somewhere else?- there's plenty of room under there!

So will I pay this exorbitant amount to have it (the airbag light) re set? - Maybe only for it to come back on again?

Nahhh I think not.

So in the first instance - Thanks Fiat for helping to save my life
In second instance no thanks Fiat for a flawed design.

Last edited:
Which passenger air bag warning light? Have you checked the key hole in the passenger side of the dash?

Apologies if that sounds a bit vaige.

Dom

Both lights are on - I was at the scrapyard last week getting a new rad fan/surround for it and helped myself to the "key switch" too - still the same problem.

Mentioned it to a car mechanicmate today after telling him I was going to take the bulbs out and he said "drop it around and I'll reset it - 3 minute job - for nothing too!!"

Back