Grande Punto Im New :-)

Currently reading:
Grande Punto Im New :-)

Hay16

Hi people! I am new to this site! I am a proud owner of a Fiat Grande Punto. 4 weeks in ? You all seem like a knowledgable bunch and I am after a little bit of advice please

Welcome , Who ?

seems you found the right place, but we (the knowledgable bunch) need a bit more info about you and your Grande …

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Hi, Sorry ny named Hayley. Thank you for allowing me to burdon you with my issues ??. So where do i start.....
I bought the car from a garage so I have a small warranty. When i first bought the car there was a knocking noise every time i changed gear so took it back and they replaced the engine mount....all seemed well until i did my first motorway run at the weekend. It drove fine but when you are doing 70ish and you take you foot of the accelerator it sounded like a a jumbo jet taking off on the runway. Fine as soon as you accelerate again or slow down. Completely stops. Then when i get off the motorway and changed down gear it made a strange clunky noise but this only happened once. I drove back the next day, same issue over 70 but other wise perfect drive. Fast forward to today where i havent really driven her just in case and i come out of work, start the engine and she made a strange clunky noise again, followed by a slight over rev maybe 500rpm over, which has now stopped. Now it sounds like i have a little rattle snake in my enginer in 1st, 2nd and 3rd and dies down in 4th. Just to add shes always struggled getting into 5th. Not overly difficult just have to be a little more forceful. Any ideas? Is this all connected? Any advice would be very much appreciated ? thank you in advance

Sorry just to add shes a 57 plate 1.2 petrol and please any other information you need to help im happy to find....just dont know alot about cars ??

How reputable is the garage Haley? Take the car back & get it checked thoroughly. I don't want to sound patronising, but you need to take someone along with you who is mechanical minded & knows their way around a vehicle.

Hi Hayley, best recommendation from Jimboy !

Your car has a warranty, even 'little', the minimum to be covered is the powertrain (engine & gearbox): the seller have to fix any issue that existed at sale or occurs during the warranty period.
Usually it is an insurance that the seller contract so they don't even pay from their Pocket if Something needs to be done (well I guess in certain limits…) unless they took the 'risk' on themselves …

You should not feel bad by insisting upon them that you bought a car that has deffects that need fixing, very good advice to be accompanied by a 'mature' Guy, even better if he knows a bit about mechanics !

Beside that, the clunks and hard to select gears are probably the results of the bad engine mount(s), how many of them have been replaced ? There a three in total, my guess is they only replaced one, which only partially solved your knocking noise issue. The BG cables have maybe been stressed by the engine's unwanted motion and need re-adjustment.

Take already the good habit to keep us informed …

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Last edited:
How reputable is the garage Haley? Take the car back & get it checked thoroughly. I don't want to sound patronising, but you need to take someone along with you who is mechanical minded & knows their way around a vehicle.

Hi Jimboy,

They seem relatively reputable, fantastic reviews, not sure if RAC registered etc but they are happy to fix it so it is going back in this weekend. I unfortunately don't know anyone thats a mechanic/mechanically knowledgable other wise i probably wouldn't keep buying duffs lol! I am only on my 2nd car and my last one i bought with a blown head gasket.....hence i bought from a garage this time lol!!

Thank you for advice, definitely taking it in this weekend :)

Hi Hayley, best recommendation from Jimboy !

Your car has a warranty, even 'little', the minimum to be covered is the powertrain (engine & gearbox): the seller have to fix any issue that existed at sale or occurs during the warranty period.
Usually it is an insurance that the seller contract so they don't even pay from their Pocket if Something needs to be done (well I guess in certain limits…) unless they took the 'risk' on themselves …

You should not feel bad by insisting upon them that you bought a car that has deffects that need fixing, very good advice to be accompanied by a 'mature' Guy, even better if he knows a bit about mechanics !

Beside that, the clunks and hard to select gears are probably the results of the bad engine mount(s), how many of them have been replaced ? There a three in total, my guess is they only replaced one, which only partially solved your knocking noise issue. The BG cables have maybe been stressed by the engine's unwanted motion and need re-adjustment.

Take already the good habit to keep us informed …

BRs, Bernie

Thank you again for advice, definitely back to the garage this weekend.

I didnt realise there was more than one engine mount but that does make perfect sense! what is a BG cable?! lol! sorry to sound so stupid?

fyi not making the noise this morning or maybe just drowned out by the rain lol!!

Thanks again!

Hi Hayley, sorry for the typo, BG meant GB, for gearbox :-(

BRs, Bernie

Hi,think BG cable is a misprint and should be GB cable,short for Gear Box cable. The noise at 70 could be the front flexi pipe on the exhaust starting to fail,or exhaust fouling the body on over run.But With out a better description,it is all guess work.

Hi,think BG cable is a misprint and should be GB cable,short for Gear Box cable. The noise at 70 could be the front flexi pipe on the exhaust starting to fail,or exhaust fouling the body on over run.But With out a better description,it is all guess work.

That GB cable thing would make sense....would that make my gears a bit clunky? not overly, just a little.

I sometimes struggle to differentiate between my poor driving (i have only just passed lol) and actual issues with the car!

The noise over 70 sounds like a heavy vibration when you take your foot off the accelerator. introduce speed or drop it to under 60 and all stops?! could it be engine mount related still?

Thanks for all your help everyone!!

Back