General idle control valve

Currently reading:
General idle control valve

jamx2

Hi Guys,

Can anybody help me with a diagram of what and where the idle control valve is and I would be really grateful for step by step instructions on how to clean it, as my car keeps stalling and I amd fairly sure reading other articles this is the reason but do not have a clue what I am looking for.

I know a lot of you guys have been top notch in helping in the past and all advice is welcome

Cheers

jamx2

If it is a P reg petrol or thereabouts..The valve is at the front just to the left of the throttle cam ( The black thing which the cable acts on) It is inserted into the block from the engine side so all you see is the cable connector and two small star screws holding it in.

But before you start fiddling with it look at the small vacuum pipework from the same area. One short pipe leads back to the top of the engine lh side and the other leads away and up to a sensor under the scuttle.This is the absolute pressure sensor. First check for any splitting where the pipe fits on to the sensor it must be an airtight fit. Check for wera and holes in pipe en route back to the throttle block the clips can chafe etc.If nothing found unplug connector and spray with wd40 and plug and unplug a few times to clean connectors.If you replace any pipes make sure new is same length as the old one.

To clean the icv remove it and clean with carb cleaner or similar plus the block where you can. Not such a simple job since the screws are hard to get at and can get stuck.Dont pull the plunger about when cleaning. When cleaned replace. Sorry should have said disconnect battery before starting the cleaning this resets the ecu when restarted.. When restarting expect weird throttle at idle as the ecu will be resetting the valve and has to relearn from parameters available.You can get new valves via the net or even ebay sometimes.I paid £60 for mine last year.

Hope that helps.If you search the forum you will find a lot of info on this problem but the above is the basics.
Good Luck

The icv is the part with the wires comming from it, just to the left of the large air duct going to the throttle housing

https://www.fiatforum.com/ulysse/41100-ulysse-engine-cutting-out-idle.html?p=477906

To remove disconnect the plug going to it. Undo carefully!!! the two torx screws (T20 driver) as they are easly chewed:eek: one of which you can just make out in the picture in the above thread when enlargened. The other is underneath the valve:bang: the valve will just pull out now and you can now clean the shaft etc. also worth looking at other posts on this subject as cleaning worked for me for a while but by disconnecting a hose and replacing the valve I have not had this problem since. This valve picture could be up for sale soon.

Attachments

• ulysse 002.jpg
    ulysse 002.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
Back