Technical Idea 1.3jtd runs better with Maf disconnected

Currently reading:
Technical Idea 1.3jtd runs better with Maf disconnected

sausagefingers

Please excuse any poor logic as cars are not my strong point. Any advice or answers will be most gratefully received.
I was getting flat spots on my otherwise well behaved 1.3 jtd Idea, so I disconnected the MAF and it ran without flat spots and the fuel economy improved. I cleaned the MAF and the flat spots were still there afterwards.
This leads me to some questions;
1) Is it definitely a faulty MAF or could other faulty parts also cause these results? I don't want to replace the MAF only to find it is the EGR or something. Is it possible to test the MAF with a multitester?
2) Can anyone advise me on the cheapest way to get fault codes read?

Some places such as Kingsway tyres will read the faults for free. I'm currently running my 1.9jtd without the maf connected as its faulty but I will replace it as I believe (stand to be corrected) it aids in reducing emissions by ensuring the engine recieves the correct amounts of air and fuel. Without it the ecu kind of runs home to mummy and runs on memorized settings. Stand to be corrected though.

This leads me to some questions;
1) Is it definitely a faulty MAF or could other faulty parts also cause these results? I don't want to replace the MAF only to find it is the EGR or something. Is it possible to test the MAF with a multitester?
2) Can anyone advise me on the cheapest way to get fault codes read?

How would we know without even seeing it? It could be EGR as they ofyten produces a P0101 air flow meter error. Dealer will have a diagnostic test routine to tell exactly which one it is.....if it is one of them of course.

I will replace it as I believe (stand to be corrected) it aids in reducing emissions by ensuring the engine recieves the correct amounts of air and fuel. Without it the ecu kind of runs home to mummy and runs on memorized settings. Stand to be corrected though.

No you are correct, your fuel consumption will be slightly worse off now and if you boot it you will get a fair bit of black smoke out the back.

Not yet she doesn't but she's up for a 6000 service next week so doing the maf then. W plate 1.9JTD with 80k on the clock, full stamped service history, immaculate condition...£895! Previous thought turbo had blown so sold it cheap. Haven't the heart to tell him I unplugged the MAF on the test drive and she did 60 in about 8 seconds. Full service and multi point check (just two new tyres) and happy days since.

Back