Hiya

Currently reading:
Hiya

Cheest

Established member
Mike here from frozen Illannoy in the US. I will soon be taking possession of a late 70s (not 100% on the year yet) 124 Spider. What I do know is that it’s red, has four flat tires and has been sitting in the same spot in a garage for 15 years. Glutton for punishment, ain’t I.

I almost got the car about six years ago but it is co-owned by a pair of sisters. Sister who owns the garage just told me to tow it out. Other sister whose name was also on the title wanted mondo dollars, so I walked. Well, got a text last Friday from the owner(s) to just come and get it. As soon as enough snow melts so I can get my trailer out, that’s what I am going to do.

About me, soon to be retired railroad equipment mechanic. Bicycles, motorcycles, grandkids and old cars keep me sane. As for Cheest, it was supposed to be Cheesy, but I fat fingered it and didn’t look. Oh well.

I wanted to add that I have zero experience with Fiats other than coworkers swearing at theirs in the eighties. Then I remembered that my wife’s Renegade is a 500L in Jeep clothing.

Whelp, after begging me to get the Spider out of their garage, the party that gave me the Spider screwed me over by giving it to someone else. This was after all plans were agreed upon for getting it next weekend.:mad:

So, I will grab my hat and coat then quietly close the door on my way out. Bye.

Mike here from frozen Illannoy in the US. I will soon be taking possession of a late 70s (not 100% on the year yet) 124 Spider. What I do know is that it’s red, has four flat tires and has been sitting in the same spot in a garage for 15 years. Glutton for punishment, ain’t I.

I almost got the car about six years ago but it is co-owned by a pair of sisters. Sister who owns the garage just told me to tow it out. Other sister whose name was also on the title wanted mondo dollars, so I walked. Well, got a text last Friday from the owner(s) to just come and get it. As soon as enough snow melts so I can get my trailer out, that’s what I am going to do.

About me, soon to be retired railroad equipment mechanic. Bicycles, motorcycles, grandkids and old cars keep me sane. As for Cheest, it was supposed to be Cheesy, but I fat fingered it and didn’t look. Oh well.
Good luck with the spider, how about a photo now and after restoration

Whelp, after begging me to get the Spider out of their garage, the party that gave me the Spider screwed me over by giving it to someone else. This was after all plans were agreed upon for getting it next weekend.:mad:

So, I will grab my hat and coat then quietly close the door on my way out. Bye.
Sorry to hear that. D'you think there was money at the heart of it?

You don't have to leave us though, do feel free to hang about and make comments whenever you like. Having made friends with a chap in Maryland when my daughter lived there, who was restoring a Mk1 Corvette, I find you chaps from the other side of "The Pond" often have innovative solutions to us over here in "Blighty" that don't automatically occur to us.

Sorry to hear that. D'you think there was money at the heart of it?

You don't have to leave us though, do feel free to hang about and make comments whenever you like. Having made friends with a chap in Maryland when my daughter lived there, who was restoring a Mk1 Corvette, I find you chaps from the other side of "The Pond" often have innovative solutions to us over here in "Blighty" that don't automatically occur to us.

I don't think that money was involved. I think it may have been a case of one sibling sticking it to another sibling. My wife and I were caught in the middle because we are both friends with the stickee. Truth be told, I'd rather have an old MG Midget, anyway. Had one 40 years ago and know what to expect. I still have my jar of replacement Lucas wire smoke on a shelf somewhere.

I'll lurk in the background for awhile. Who knows, maybe someone will want to know the foibles of owning a Russian motorcycle. ;)

Truth be told, I'd rather have an old MG Midget, anyway. Had one 40 years ago and know what to expect. I still have my jar of replacement Lucas wire smoke on a shelf somewhere.

I'll lurk in the background for awhile. Who knows, maybe someone will want to know the foibles of owning a Russian motorcycle. ;)

Seems a lifetime ago now, and hey, it was, but Austin A 30/35/40, Morris Oxford/Austin Cambridge and the occasional Westminster, MG Midget/MGB/Healey Sprite - everyday jobs when I first started and now think very fondly of them. Do let us know if you get your hands on one.

Feel free to spill the beanz on the bike anytime! especially if accompanied by 'photos.

Back