Technical Hissing/ Whistle Sound From Front While Cruising

Currently reading:
Technical Hissing/ Whistle Sound From Front While Cruising

Anyone else encountered this? During normal driving, an occasional intermittent whistling or a slightly higher pitched hissing sound can be heard coming from the front engine bay area.. Normally last about few seconds only... Comes on and off... wondering if it may be the fan belt.. But then again, if it's the fan belt, I should be able to hear that during cold start or something like that right? Instead of intermittently when the car is cruising...

It's a little like a hiss to release built up pressure kinda sound lol... Mine's the 100Bhp so definitely not the sound of the turbo.. :D

Anyone else encountered this? During normal driving, an occasional intermittent whistling or a slightly higher pitched hissing sound can be heard coming from the front engine bay area.. Normally last about few seconds only... Comes on and off... wondering if it may be the fan belt.. But then again, if it's the fan belt, I should be able to hear that during cold start or something like that right? Instead of intermittently when the car is cruising...

It's a little like a hiss to release built up pressure kinda sound lol... Mine's the 100Bhp so definitely not the sound of the turbo.. :D

Aircon perhaps? How old is the car, and when was the refrigerant charge last checked? I've heard something similar on other cars when the A/C compressor cuts in & out & it's particularly noticeable if the refrigerant needs a top-up.

It's a 2008 MY... Now that you mention it, I doubt I ever had the refrigerant topped up before since more than a year ago... :eek:

Will get that checked on shortly. Thanks for the help (y)

Have you found the problem mate? Myn has just started making the noise about a week ago, but it's well hard to find as it only does it when the cars moving. Usally over 30-40 mph

I've been through about 6 wheel bearings on my MY2008 1.4 Lounge. Shortly before replacing each one I've had this noise. After replacing, the noise stops.

That`s a lot of bearings:confused: usually last a lot longer ,i remember my old uno turbo had its first one changed at 89k.

83k miles in 4 years, 20 odd trackdays, 5 nurburgring runs, 3 or 4 days at Spa-Francorchamps. Bearings are disposable. :D

Back