Technical High oil temp ?

Currently reading:
Technical High oil temp ?

Hey Peeps,

Done the cam cover gasket yesterday, started the car up. Oil temp rise steadily and water temp the same. Fan kicked in normal.

This morning, on the way to work, less than 5 mins of driving the oil temp shot to 70 degress, then continus to rise till 110-115. It only started to drop back to the normal temp of 80 after another 15 mins of driving.

The water temp has been normal at all time stabled at around 70. The oil temp is usually running at between 70-85ish.

Could this just be a faulty guage or could this be related to the cam cover gasket change?

Thanks
Ming

I wonder if it could be that the cold and thick oil is moving slower so collects much more heat from the engine. once all the oil is heated up it will be much thinner and move much faster meaning it picks up less heat.

if the sender was in the sump i expect the oil temps would raise as expected.

you would always remove the sender and test it in a pan of water on the stove.

I wonder if it could be that the cold and thick oil is moving slower so collects much more heat from the engine. once all the oil is heated up it will be much thinner and move much faster meaning it picks up less heat.

if the sender was in the sump i expect the oil temps would raise as expected.

you would always remove the sender and test it in a pan of water on the stove.

Is just stranged that it never happened before and it happened after i changed the cam cover gasket.

Think i'll test it, on my next oil change.

Thanks
Ming

Back