Technical Hidden antenna? Anyone know what this is?

Currently reading:
Technical Hidden antenna? Anyone know what this is?

BrettJG

I have a 2009 Ducato van with and aftermarket stereo head deck and discovered this over the weekend while running some cables to the rear of the van in the RHS pillar.

It looks like some sort of antenna as it is tape to a rigid plastic rod and is not connected to anything at the top.

As I have a roof top antenna that was there when I bought the van I just wondered if it is an antenna from the factory radio or even possible factory gps vehicle tracking. It doesn’t appear to be aftermarket (but I could be wrong) and The reason I think it is an antenna as it seems to be thicker, like coax, at the base of the cable where it goes under the dash and thins out to a single white wire mounted on the pillar clips.

I have not been able to trace where it goes once it is under the dash.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

21E7E419-E88C-42BC-87E4-EA773FA46B79.jpeg

Attachments

• 5E3B9FE2-B365-4D93-AA4C-DA6E6C7C4DE8.jpeg
    5E3B9FE2-B365-4D93-AA4C-DA6E6C7C4DE8.jpeg
    648.3 KB · Views: 76
Hi

Is this the windscreen pillar ?

My best guess would be a receiving antenna for the remote central locking. If it operates at the usual 433 MHz and it is a halfwave design it will be about 300 mm long, possibly with a small ferrite choke core under the shrink sleeving. If so, it will connect to the body control module where the central locking radio receiver is housed.

It's a pretty inefficient placement right next to cabling and metalwork, but if it does the job and you can operate the locks from say 20 metres away that's all it needs to do.

Hi

Is this the windscreen pillar ?

My best guess would be a receiving antenna for the remote central locking. If it operates at the usual 433 MHz and it is a halfwave design it will be about 300 mm long, possibly with a small ferrite choke core under the shrink sleeving. If so, it will connect to the body control module where the central locking radio receiver is housed.

It's a pretty inefficient placement right next to cabling and metalwork, but if it does the job and you can operate the locks from say 20 metres away that's all it needs to do.
Yes! Thank you Anthony l! That would explain it. Didn’t even occur to me!!
Five star! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Back