124 Spider (Classic) Hi I am new. Restoring a 1980 2000 spider. Question, transmission stays engaged even stick shift is neutral. Any suggestion as to problem? Thanks

Currently reading:
124 Spider (Classic) Hi I am new. Restoring a 1980 2000 spider. Question, transmission stays engaged even stick shift is neutral. Any suggestion as to problem? Thanks

trevor pull

Hi I am new. I have a 1980 2000 series that i am restoring. The transmission stays engaged even when the stick shift is freely moving in neutral. AS long as the clutch is engaged, but when released it starts moving. any suggestions? Trevor

Hi I am new. I have a 1980 2000 series that i am restoring. The transmission stays engaged even when the stick shift is freely moving in neutral. AS long as the clutch is engaged, but when released it starts moving. any suggestions? Trevor
Hi Trev,

Older engines are my thing, but mainly boats. In lieu of another answer, here's my 2 cents, apologies if you already know this.

From the shift lever often a series of rods and bars select the gear within the box, If it's the car I think it is, the shift lever maybe sits as part of the gear box chasis. As with all gear issues I've ever had (Short of clutch & box being damaged), incorrect adjustment is what causes problems.
I would check Clutch fluid for level, and condition, although I'd also query clutch condition.

I'd love to see photos of your car.

Sounds suspiciously like gearbox internals to me.

Possibly something in gear selector mechanism, selector fork, or even coupling clutch sleeve if it can't be disengaged from gear.

Can you select all other gears? With engine running & engine off? Does depressing the clutch stop the car from moving?

Back