General Help with stereo wiring!

Currently reading:
General Help with stereo wiring!

tomfoster

I have followed the guide on here to fit an aftermarket stereo, and have tried to wire it by wiring the yellow wire into the red one (see attached image). The stereo plays fine for a few minutes, then goes very quiet and fuzzy-sounding. I have read elsewhere on the net that this is due to overheating, and that that can be caused by messing with the yellow wire. Have I done something wrong? The orange wire seems not to be connected to anything at the car end - is this correct?

I'd really appreciate some help/advice on this, as after putting up with that crappy tape player for 2 months, I now have no stereo at all!

001tyx.jpg

Hi im an electrician bye trade and have installed a full vibe black sound system in my stilo

Now my stilo doesnt have a 12v ignition / switch live just a permanent.

So as fare as im aware...

Red - switch live
yellow - battery live / permanent live

So you've got the red from the input side (the side that plugs into the car) in with red and yellow on the head unit side. So unless your stilo has a remote live i dont see how its working lol

You should have the yellow from the car side of the wiring harness, in with the red and yellow on the stereo side if that how your planning on doing this.

I got a switch live from my ignition so my stereo comes on with the car.

Putting that all aside i think the sound issue is a different matter.

If the sound is fine with standard stereo in and gets quiet with your new one this would indicate that the stereo is faulty as dimming sound is usually caused my high resistance on the speakers / speaker wiring but if it ok with that standard stereo in you no its not that .

So i suggest testing the head unit in another car if possible to see if its the stereo or your car.

Oo and dont worry about the orange it isnt used :)

Fletch (y)

Last edited:
Its the wrong way round. Put the yellow that does nothing right now into you chock block replacing the red one.

Then the power from the car go's through the yellow wire and then the yellow wire distributes it for the red and yellow to the new head unit.

:worship:Big thanks for the replies - I'm okay with mechanical stuff on cars, but freely admit I have no idea what I'm doing with the electrics!

I'll try swapping the yellow wire for the red on the car side of the harness, but I still don't understand how this will work. Only the red and black wires have corresponding wires on the car side - the yellow and orange ones don't seem to have any corresponding wires on the car side?! I wish I understood this stuff better... :confused:

Back