Technical help with broken fiat idea

Currently reading:
Technical help with broken fiat idea

momik2109

I have a major problem. My son drove the car to the shop with no problem . Came out and the car wouldn't start. He had driven around with the fuel light on for days. He got diesel and put some in and from then on it wouldn't start. We went later in the day and the car started eventually. we drove it and it was so sluggish in first and second but when in third or fourth was ok. Called RAC because unhappy, he seemed to think that the timing chain might have gone. towed to garage they said that an initial look said compression problems, seemed like could be timing chain had gone but would have to take engine apart to be sure which would be £300 to £400 then it might need a new engine £2000. What is the point if the car is only worth £1500. Could I get a reconditioned engine cheaper somewhere or a diagnosis that won't cost £400. please help is the garage ripping me off and is the car only good for scrap

I would start by changing the fuel filter,if it's been driven with low fuel level it might have pulled sediment from the bottom of the fuel tank into the filter and even if it did start it would not pull very well with a choked filter,.I would doubt if it's the timing chain but easy to check,just take the cover off,I've never heard of a timing chain braking.
I would not let the garage start any big inspection before doing the filter first

Back