500 Help needed to open boot

Currently reading:
500 Help needed to open boot

Deefor

Hi I am a newbie to the forum and would like some help with my fiat 500
I cannot open the boot with the key or handle, I have purchased a new tailgate handle and fitted it but am still unable to open the boot.
I have opened the boot from inside and put a screw driver in the lock as if to shut the door, the key fob will unlock, but when door is shut again can’t open.
Any suggestions please.

I cannot open the boot with the key or handle, I have purchased a new tailgate handle and fitted it but am still unable to open the boot.
I have opened the boot from inside and put a screw driver in the lock as if to shut the door, the key fob will unlock, but when door is shut again can’t open.
Any suggestions please.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Have you checked the integrity of the hatch wiring?

Last edited:
Any suggestions please.

I'm guessing the car is about 5+ years old? your problem suggests the hatch wires are broken as above, do the lights flash when you press the button for the boot? but doesn't open?
What else does not work on the tailgate?

Hi
Yes car is 2012, and the lights flash when using key number plate lights are working.
Have had a look at where the wires are but think I need to cut the gator of the wires as I can’t see anything

Unfortunatly that is what you have to do. I was having troubles with wife 500 and I cut the tubing from car to hatch, try not to cut the bung part of tube that goes into body.

I am sure you will find at least one wire broke, I had only two wires that were still intact. The wires are too brittle and made of s&*t.

Then you will need to solder them back up and insulate.

Ade:wave:

hi, i had the same sort of problem on my multipla after the latest rain and hard frosts, i got the boot open, and sprayed the lock with the new Wd40 silicone spray, works a treat now no further problems,motor on lock works first time on remote

Hi
Yes car is 2012, and the lights flash when using key number plate lights are working.
Have had a look at where the wires are but think I need to cut the gator of the wires as I can’t see anything

No you don't need to cut the rubber just pull it from the bodywork push it back on itself and then cut/remove the covering on the actual cable bundle.

A kit like this, is available; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Repair-Se...728582&hash=item25e3e4eadd:g:lkEAAOSwm3pZ~HrN

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Example.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 21
Back