Technical Help!! My punto won't stop revving!!!

Currently reading:
Technical Help!! My punto won't stop revving!!!

Chief

Hi everyone, can anyone help me with an over revving problem I have?:confused:

I have a fiat punto active 1.2 (2002 model) and about 6 months ago the radiator fan came loose and cut my radiator open whilst I was driving home. I stopped as quickly as I could to try and save the engine but no luck!! Had to get a re-conditioned one put in at the cost of a grand!!!:cry::cry::cry:

All was well until the exhaust fell off a fortnight ago. Got that fixed (new middle and rear sections) but the engine now idles at 2000 - 2500rpm and when I press the accelorator to try and bring it down the engine stalls. I had a quick look over and found a split in the pipe that leads to the icv so fixed that but hasn't made much of a difference.:bang: Any ideas???

Could it be the icv? If so how do you replace it? And is it an easy job?

i would be inclined to fully clean the TB . qute an easy job:D & give the contro valve a good clean as well...best of luck

Last edited:
Hey everyone, just to let you know that unfortunately cleaning the tb didn't solve my problem. (Thanks for the help andy:))

I'm still at a dead end. If anyone does know anything that would help then please let me know, I'm at my wit's end! :bang:

2000-2500rpm is unlikely to be the ICV causing the issue as it's above it's normal operating rpm range and if it's clean you'd know if it had malfunctioned - one way to test it is to let the car warm up then disconnect it. If the car idles better it's the ICV.

More likely reasons are:

- Throttle position sensor
- Leaking vac tube (although you say you have replaced it)
- Leak between the throttle body and inlet or inlet and head

Last edited:
Lol, I wish I'd never bought the car now!

I thought I'd update you all on this seemingly never ending saga.:doh:

Took the car to the garage the other day, asked them to hook it up to the diagnostic machine to tell me what the problem was and they told me to change the ICV cos it was throwing the other sensors out (Still charged me even though they didn't actually do a diagnostic - not impressed:mad::mad:).

They also told me the ICV was built into the carb/injector and would cost about £170 for the new one. Is that true?? Is it built into the carb?:confused:

And I've noticed the engine is pulling in air from behind the engine instead of through the air filter (well it sounds like it is) Anybody got any ideas?

Inlet leak then mate if it's sucking in air from the back.

The ICV can be replaced and it's cheap enough.

Personally I'd clean it first and take it from there, they rarely give up and normally just get sludged up so much they stop operating correctly.

Back