Brava Hello, just joined

Currently reading:
Brava Hello, just joined

Nanny

Hi, I put Brava, but it seems I'm about to become the Brava's ex user! I think it's croaked! So I'm upset. Seems it's the EC unit (whatever that is :confused:) And the guy can't find one that will go in my car. OK, so it drives like a truck, got some scratches, black rubber bits on the handles are slowly falling off, rear wiper doesn't work, so it's probably a bit of a heap - but it was MY heap and I liked it. So what to do now???? Anyone with any bright ideas?? Panda? Punto? decisions, decisions.

ECU is the Engine Control Unit (Computer brains for the engine) The Brava/Bravo ECU's are pretty damn hardy units though. They don't break very often. What is wrong with the car exactly? (And what engine is it?)

Black rubber bits falling off is a known issue. Blame the Italians for being incapable of making rubber compounds that can stand the sun. They can be replaced by Marea door handles though (A full set costs something like 50 pounds off a polish guy on eBay) Takes a bit of a fiddle to fit but is well worth it.

Rear wiper not working could a number of things. Have you checked if the motor is getting power? If it is, then it's most likely the intermittent relay or the motor being burnt out. Both issues would require changing the wiper unit for a working one. (can be bought at a scrappers for maybe a tenner at most. Replacing the unit is a 6 screws on the bootpanel and 3 nuts on the motor job. Done in an hour tops)

I know the feeling about the car being a heap. It might be to others, but to me its a loveable peace of good ol' junk that gets me places.

Thanks for the reply. This is info from log book - Brava 100 SX Auto 1581cc petrol. It has never given any trouble, suddenly wouldn't start. Called AA, somehow he turned key and it started but was reving, like you were putting your foot on throttle and taking if off again, he looked under bonnet, engine raced, he reckoned it needed a diagnostic test, so I drove and he followed to garage, driving was very lumpy (hope you understand that??) I always put it into N at traffic lights, but you would have to put it into N as it was wanting to run away with you. Garage bloke says when he turns ignition on now the fan comes on immediately. Don't know whether to say goodbye to it or get another opinion, cost is an issue here, if I take it to another garage, then I will have to pay both just to look and diagnose. (Now where did I put my bicycle???)

Do you remember if he got any fault codes? The fan shouldn't come on right away, but this does not HAVE to be the ECU's fault. (Could a problem with the temp sensors, which would be an easy fix) Did the revs bounce up and down when it started? Or was it just steady at higher revs than normal?

Maybe one of the other member has a clue what could be going on. I'm a little stumped on this one.

Back