Multipla Hello guys!

Currently reading:
Multipla Hello guys!

Stephsteph

Hi everyone! I've joined this site on a recommendation from a friend who owns a Fiat Multiplayer. I currently have a Peugeot 206 , 5 doors, 1.1 engine. I have three children and a tall partner and don't ask me how the hell I fit them all in the car.. but I do!!!! Thing is I am not looking for something more suitable and spacious. I need enough room for 3 child seats in the back and decent boot room for pram and shopping. I think I need a people carrier basically or a Multipla? Wanted to see what you guys recommend I should be looking for or know anything suitable for sale in North Yorkshire.
Also I'd like something bigger than a 1.1 and it needs to be diesel. At the moment the car I have is like a guzzling little sowing machine, I'm using £170 worth of fuel a month and I don't even drive very far! I actually had to have the carchecked for a fuel leak as I was convinced something was wrong but no, just a thirsty car apparently... So he I'm thinking maybe a 1.6 ? Help and advice wanted please (obviously I want something 2nd hand)

Welcome to the forum Steph, sometimes it takes a while but you should get some more answers?

Anyone out there selling a good Multipla Jtd my friend might be interested.

Hi Steph,

I also have 3 kids and that's why I have a Multipla. My kids are all in car seats of various styles. The Multipla has 3 individual, full sized seats. Some of the 2004-2010 models also have Isofix on the outer two seats. The front middle seat is also full sized and you'd be amazed at the amount of times kids fight to sit in it. I'm just under 6 ft and comfortably fit in the car and can easily get a good driving position. The Multi has a high roof so even proper lofty people shouldn't have a problem.
The three seats make for a wide car and also a wide boot. We've got an old maclaren pushchair and a more modern travel system. I've never had a problem fitting it in the car.
Infact this is where the versatility of the Multipla comes into it's own:
- You, partner + 3 kids in the back, some one wants a lift - no problem)
- 3 kids want to go bike riding - remove a rear seat to fit all bikes in
- Trip to Ikea or the tip - remove all the rear seats and you have a 3 seater van.
The only problem is that when you've owned a Multipla, they become very hard to replace with something better.
The 1.9JTD is the diesel option for you, they do between 40-50 miles per gallon (15p per mile). The 1.6 petrol will only do 30mpg (20p per mile). The tax will be roughly the same for both but more than your current 1.1 206 (probably).
I don't know of any for sale but the prices are all over the place, I got mine for £125 off here but the running total is about £1000 with all the bits i've thrown at it. I would budget for £1000 but for that i'd want something with 12m MOT, under 100K and things like a recent timing belt and recent front suspension components (drop links, bottom arms etc). That might be a tad optimistic!

Forgot to say, in my opinion (not based on fact), the mk1 ugly ones are slightly better than the mk2s. I've experienced much cheaper components on the mk2 where Fiat have tried to cost save. Things like the battery tray on my mk2 was nearly rusted through but on my mk1 are perfect - It came down to the quality of steel and thickness of paint. The oldest Mk1s are begining to suffer from rust (sorry OleTimer). The late mk2s have DPF (Diesel Particulate Filters) fitted which can cause hassle of their own (sorry Hulk83).
All multiplas suffer from rear trailing arm bearings - look for excessive camber on the rear (longprest did you do it last?), bottom arms, drop links, top mounts. Also sticky plastics on the interior.

BUT.... you fix all that and you have a great car!:slayer:

Hi Shedenvy, the whole back axle assembly was replaced with a second hand one before I acquired the car from my dad, previously the tyres nearly touched the inner wheel arch but it passed its mot like that!! Not sure if they changed the bushes, maybe not required, wheels look pretty straight to me though.

Hi Shedenvy, the whole back axle assembly was replaced with a second hand one before I acquired the car from my dad, previously the tyres nearly touched the inner wheel arch but it passed its mot like that!! Not sure if they changed the bushes, maybe not required, wheels look pretty straight to me though.

Thanks Longprest, I've found it! it was this post 4 weeks ago:
https://www.fiatforum.com/multipla/474288-car-failed-mot-needs-parts.html?p=4486056
it was tubthumper73 with Glopsy.

I guess i'll have to look at mine one day, especially with the 20mm spacers and coupe wheels.

Back