Ducato Hello! Fiat newbie with his first motorhome here!

Currently reading:
Ducato Hello! Fiat newbie with his first motorhome here!

T MAN

Hi guys!

Today I picked up my first ever Fiat - an older 2000 year Ducato 230 motorhome with the 1.9TD engine.

She's hardly seen much use at 58k miles, and the interior has been completely refurbished, so far am in love!

Was well chuffed until after about 140 miles on my way home, the gearbox started playing up - kicked out of 5th gear with grinding noises, seemed fine for 10 minutes and then happened again in 5th, engine cut out, everything fine for about 10 minutes until it happened again. Pulled over and checked, nothing visible or audible, so limped it home at 45mph without further ado - and well, here I am! Time to do some research to learn more about this platform, already found the workshop manual download :)

I'm still hopeful it's not a big issue, from what I understand a gear oil change (with extra 0.5L) and maybe rear engine mount are in order before any long trips around Europe!

I suppose you can say, the adventure has already begun!

Some photos for your viewing pleasure, lovely isn't she!?

:)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 53
Hi guys!

Today I picked up my first ever Fiat - an older 2000 year Ducato 230 motorhome with the 1.9TD engine.

She's hardly seen much use at 58k miles, and the interior has been completely refurbished, so far am in love!

Was well chuffed until after about 140 miles on my way home, the gearbox started playing up - kicked out of 5th gear with grinding noises, seemed fine for 10 minutes and then happened again in 5th, engine cut out, everything fine for about 10 minutes until it happened again. Pulled over and checked, nothing visible or audible, so limped it home at 45mph without further ado - and well, here I am! Time to do some research to learn more about this platform, already found the workshop manual download :)

I'm still hopeful it's not a big issue, from what I understand a gear oil change (with extra 0.5L) and maybe rear engine mount are in order before any long trips around Europe!

I suppose you can say, the adventure has already begun!

Some photos for your viewing pleasure, lovely isn't she!?

:)
My advise would be to go straight back to vendor, as jumping out of gear and grinding noises need immediate attention or a refund, what ever make of vehicle!!!
Also with all due respect and from reading other peoples requests for gearboxes on older models, you may have a long term issue if hoping to do high mileages with a vehicle with a suspect gearbox, which due to age may be very hard to find a good one or get it reconditioned oweing to scarcity of parts etc.
Furthermore, I would be very surprised if the vendor was not aware of it!
My issue is people pay very high prices for Campers regardless of age, when if it was a van that age as it started life as, it would often only fetch £1000!

Last edited:
It didn't just happen when you started driving it, it would have been known to the vendor who has probably done he’s homework and found it to be uneconomical to repair.
Agree with bugsymike take it back if a dealer, if its a private sale you may have a few problems.
Changing the 5th gear isn't a problem did one myself many years ago in an afternoon, from what I have read its getting the new parts that is almost impossible for older Fiats.
Lots of info on here about gearbox problems on fiat’s do a search.
Also worth a look is Motorhome Facts Forum scroll down to mechanical&technical/engine and gearboxes lots of very knowledgable people on this site might be worth you joining if you are going to do a lot of motorhomeing.
Hope you get it sorted had a motorhome myself for a few years travelled all over Europe, great fun.

Sadly it was a private sale and at a good discount so I expected some issue or another.

The home part of the motorhome is what really made it for me, I'm still hopeful the motor part can be fixed, though.

Worst case, the way I see it, engine and gearbox swap to something with a bit more grunt wouldn't be the end of the world! :)

Sadly it was a private sale and at a good discount so I expected some issue or another.

The home part of the motorhome is what really made it for me, I'm still hopeful the motor part can be fixed, though.

Worst case, the way I see it, engine and gearbox swap to something with a bit more grunt wouldn't be the end of the world! :)
As long as you are happy with the price ......
I don't know if practical, but if you could find a similar age 2.8 turbo intercooled van that was rusty and cheap with a good engine and gearbox ?
A lot of work though and may fall foul of insurance company etc.

Any engine can be made to fit the problem is cost, Ive done it a couple of times a long time ago but things have changed.
Engines are far more complex now and the rules and regs are tougher, in your position I would have a phone round and try to source the 5th gear assembly, or a good gearbox.
Swapping for a bigger engine will be difficult and expensive driveshafts and splines and the front hubs will be different the engine management computer would be different probably the engine wiring harness would be different along with the fuse board and many other things would need changing.
Then you would probably have to change the suspension and brakes to handle the extra power and try to get this past the insurance company and the dvla.
Its not impossible but a lot of headaches.
Sorry to put a dampener on your MH experience just think it through carefully and maybe speak to a couple of commercial vehicle repairer for advice, they might know a better way to solve your problem.

Last edited:
Thanks all :) Fingers crossed, trying to remain positive but in the end it's an old girl and she needs a little TLC which I'm happy to give!

Hi Bertie!

I tried changing the gear oil, but symptoms only got worse...

Ended up ordering a rebuilt (exchange) unit from Lee at Gearup UK, managed to limp it to a local mechanic who fitted everything with new clutch...

Props to the original sellers who took pity and shared the cost of the replacement box with me 50/50.

I also managed to find an upgraded 120a alternator (ALANKO 10442565) which needed the bracket adjusted to fit, but works like a charm!

First trip after a 30 mile test drive was straight to Belgium... without issue, since then probably done a couple of thousand miles - currently in Scotland!

I've also managed to install 560ah of Lifepo4 batteries, 60a DC-DC charger and 2kw inverter, all under/behind the front seats :)

Other than the severely underpowered 1.9td... it's been great so far, loving life!

Last edited:
At the risk of repearing myself, some advice on looking after that fifth gear in the reconditioned box.
The fifth gear is in a separate compartment and only splash lubricated from the main box. This is may be OK for a van in daily use, but for a motorhome....
The advice that I try to follow, particularly after several days parked up, is to avoid using fifth gear for the first mile or two.

At the risk of repearing myself, some advice on looking after that fifth gear in the reconditioned box.
The fifth gear is in a separate compartment and only splash lubricated from the main box. This is may be OK for a van in daily use, but for a motorhome....
The advice that I try to follow, particularly after several days parked up, is to avoid using fifth gear for the first mile or two.
Fully aware but thanks - overfilled the oil a bit too as most seem to recommend, and don't use 5th at least for a few miles or under 50 mph (pretty much useless any slower than that unless going downhill anyway!)

Thanks tman that's a result do you or anyone else know if the 5gesr issue affects a 2008 model ?

Thanks tman that's a result do you or anyone else know if the 5gesr issue affects a 2008 model ?
If it's the 2.2 litre engine which was fitted with the five speed box, then probably yes. Larger engine sizes were fitted with the 6 speed box, which has a different design.

I may be wrong but wasn't the 2.2 a Peugeot/Citroen and the 2.3 the Fiat engine.
An engine Series. Number. may give more detail.
According to Wikipedia the 2.2 was a Ford Puma engine. The x250 Training Manual states that a 2,2 litre engined vehicles were fitted with the five speed box, whereas 2.3 & 3 litre models had the six speed box.. The five speed box is shown as having the extra housing bulge for the fifth gear. Hence my post #13 above.

Back