Technical Heating System Leaking

Currently reading:
Technical Heating System Leaking

Burnell

I have just notice that my heating system is leaking. Does anyone know if you can remove/repair this problem from inside the car, if yes, how :bang:

Mark

A little more information:
Both the drivers side and passenger side carpets are wet
The water seems to be coming from the lower air blowers, under the dash.

I have removed most of the lower dash, but looks like I may have to remove the upper section as well.

Does anyone now any good link that may help me with this, preferable with pictures.

Thanks

Mark

First thing to do is to try a bottle of Radweld in the cooling system. If the leak is in the heater matrix and not too big that should do it.
If you can, drain some coolant first so that the header tank is empty and the Radweld goes into the system rather than stays in the header tank. It may be possible to take the top hose off and pour it into that before refitting the hose and running the engine as required. Just make sure the coolant is not too hot and the system is not pressurised when you do it.
Other than that it's dash out and yes, it is a pig of a job!

bravo/brava haynes manual tells you how to replace the heater matrix (marea is exactly the same). it is a pig of a job, but one you need to do asap.

It's possible that the problem is a blocked drain in the air plenum chamber. If it's just dirty rainwater then thats the problem, if it has antifreeze in it then its the matrix. I've never had to find where the drain emerges on my car. When I wash it I sometimes pour some clean water into the heater air intake and watch to make sure it exits under the car, this keeps it clean in there, flushes the drain and checks it's not blocked. Another clue is, are you loosing coolant?

Does anyone now any good link that may help me with this, preferable with pictures.Mark

I've got the complete Fiat Marea manual in PDF.

The whole manual is 333mb so let me know your car details (year and engine) and I'll upload the relevant sections and post the links to them.

The manual also shows you how to initiate the climate control self test procedure if you have it. It's similar to the procedure for my old (1987) Croma Turbo.

Dave.

Did mine last year. It was the heater matrix. It was full dash out. It took me all day to do, but was the only answer. I had used radweld twice, and it lasted about six months the first time, and about 3 weeks the second, so had no choice. Not a hard job to do, just time consuming. just make sure you look at the p.d.f carefully, as there are a few hidden bolts and clips that you can miss if you try to rush it. Good luck if you try it.

Hi guys

Thanks for the responses. I have managed to get the dash out finally, a right pig of a job made even harder because of my novice skills (took me all day). I have also order a Heater matrix just in case.

Only thing I need to do now is disconnect the two water pipes from the engine bay, but that is easier said than done as well by the looks of things. Can't really see anyway of getting to these two pipe, other than removing the manifolds or getting the car on a ramp (which I don't have access to).

Car: 1999 - FIAT Marea Weekend 2.0 HLX 20V
(Davren if you could upload that section for this model that would be fantastic)

Thanks again

Mark

you don't need to release any pipes from engine bay, if it's the ones i think you mean they are for the air con, not the heater. The heater ones fit onto the matrix quite easy really once the dash is out. You have to lay in the footwell and you will see them. There is a plate on the end of the matrix, that is held on by one screw. Once you take this plate off you will see the hoses, and you can get at them quite easilly.

@ Mark, I've uploaded 3 sections of the manual. The Bodywork section shows how to get the dashboard out and the 2 Auxiliary sections show the heater and climate control components.

If you don't have an account with RapidShare, click on "Free User" then you will need to wait for about 60 to 90 seconds for each download to start.

http://rapidshare.com/files/159142348/2.Auxiliary_Units.pdf
http://rapidshare.com/files/159144294/7.Bodywork_Part_2.pdf
http://rapidshare.com/files/159145033/13.Auxiliary_Units_99_Range.pdf

Let me know if you want any other sections.

Dave.

Sorry for the delay, but thanks for all your help, got it all out, new matrix in and everything back together again and all working well. Took almost three days, but I am a complete novice when it comes to this type of thing.

Thanks once again

Mark (y):slayer:

i've the same problem but i couldn't manage to solve it yet:(

i've changed it at the Fiat Service but the problem is still going on:(

when i started the heater on, the inner sides of the windows are covered with the steam and it is difficult to see the road:mad:

and also the smell of the antifreeze came on...

i think the connection part leaks:bang:

is there anybody having any suggestions:idea:

Back