Technical headlight relay

Currently reading:
Technical headlight relay

renault

the previous owner has fitted a relay in the headlight circuit of my Giardi.
I am wondering if this was a common mod in the day in order to spare the steering column control?

Normally done when more powerful bulbs are fitted to stop the increased current from melting the switch. I found out the hard way :eek:

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Or, go high tech and fit LED bulbs. Brighter and much less current draw. Not sure if 100% Legal, so fit at your own risk.

I mean come on, who apart from Peter (being so far up north) has to use their car's headlights anyway :D

R

Another reason for using a relay in the headlamp circuit (apart from protecting the column switch contacts), is to minimise voltage drop in the supply to the headlamps. A shorter run of often heavier cable can then be used - the cables supplying the current to the headlamps can even be connected directly from the battery (remember to include inline fuses) to the relay/s and onto the headlamps, if this results in the shortest cable runs. This can make a significant difference in the brightness of the lamps.

Al.

Last edited:
I'm momentarily bored, and drifted onto this related question:

Has anyone noticed that the "headlight flashing" function (activated by pulling back the stalk) on '70s Italian vehicles is wired to the low beam circuit, as opposed to the high beam one on most other European/Asian vehicles ? American cars of the period entirely lacked this "road rage" gadget.
I'm just saying this on the strength of both my '72 Giardi and my '79 Guzzi being both originally so wired. Was that standard practice for Italy back then ?
Also for the benefit of Patinated Peter who seems bent on making himself ever more visible these days and reminds me of Robert Redford in The Electric Horseman :D

Back