General Headgasket woes!!!

Currently reading:
General Headgasket woes!!!

portodude

I changed the head gasket on my 94 UNO 1.1ie a couple of days ago. Went to change the oil after, could not get the damn plug out of the sump, eventually rounded it off. Had to get that nasty stuff out as it was heavily contaminated with water. Well I'm sorry but I loosened the oil filter started the engine and let the oil poor out into my bowl. Stopped the engine when the flow became a trickle. Only about 30 seconds or so. Was that bad?
Put new oil in and changed the filter, the engine still has rather milky oil and still has a steamy smoke stuff coming out the exhaust. Is that normal for slightly contaminated oil. I intend to take it to a garage and get the oil changed again in the next day or two, maybe they can get the plug out. It also seems to make a whistling noise. I may have not got the valve timong quite right as well, how would I know?

Your procedure for removing oil is a bit heath robinson and not something I would do myself. You can get oil extraction pumps from the likes of screwfix for about £35. You put a tube down the dipstick and pump the oil from the sump, probably a safer bet than running it out the way you did. The sump plugs also generally have an allan key slot in the middle which you can use if you round the head off. You'll probably want a fair bit of leverage, I use one of these attached to a rachet.

It wasn't for long, and just on idle so i doubt its done any harm to be honest.

You may find if yours doent have an allen key slot you can get a garage to weld a nut on to whats left and use that to undo it.

Tom

Yeah I know it wasn't ideal but I couldn't drive it to a garage as it was overfilled, another problem is that I live in Portugal and speak terrible Portuguese, makes everything 10 times harder. I did have the right tool thing for the sump plug 12mm right? Seemed a bit loose though. I did put a tube down the dip stick hole and thy to syphon it out, it was too thick though, managed to suck it though the tube but it woouldn't syphon. The oil looked very like molten milk chocolate, tasted different though!

YEAH SEE!!
Its awefull convenient and quick, probably doesn't get all the oil from the bottom of the sump though. I have yet to do the second oil change so it smokes a bit. I'm going to get the Fiat garage get the plug out, flush it and replace oil and coolant. There are some advantages to spewing out smoke, the drivers in Portugal like to sit about two inches from your rear bumper, the smoke keeps them back.
Awesome forum thanks for all the replies.

Back