Technical Having trouble starting the car this winter

Currently reading:
Technical Having trouble starting the car this winter

Amikae

Some history about the car. For 2 years the car has been having stuttering problems when cold and very slight stutters at low rpm, second gear for example. It's a 1.4 16v, 95hp Starjet engine.

I've not found a solution to the problem, no one seems to be able to figure it out, but it wasn't a big deal to me, because when it warms up it drives almost 100% fine.

But this year I've been having trouble starting in cold mornings. Not exactly a big deal, but every time the temperatures get below 5-6 degrees, the car won't start on first try. Then in starts perfectly the second. One morning I was in a hurry, it was cold, started from second try and I tried to drive off without warming it up, and the car just wouldn't go. Every time I tried disengaging the clutch the car began to stall and I had to wait for it a couple of minutes.

Last night it rained and it got below zero fast, so the whole car froze. And today I decided to warm it up and clean up the ice, but for the first since I bought the car 4 years ago, it's been this hard to start. I had to try at least 10 times and it just wouldn't start. And then again it started perfectly. It's -5 outside, not THAT cold. Previous years the car has been starting at -15 without much trouble.

What I've done so far to the car. Bought a new more powerful battery, previous was 50Ah, new one is 60Ah. Changed the spark plugs with new NGK plugs. Cleaned the butterfly valve and checked the coils.

I have no idea what is causing this. At the service they told me they did check the air temperature and water temperature sensors, but there weren't any wrong readings. It feels like there's no ignition, the engine just coughs up a few times and that's it.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This isn't the most informed response I'm afraid but a friend of mine once had similar problems on a Peugeot. In the end it was a faulty crank position sensor.

I know almost nothing about cars but recently I had my map sensor replaced, the car wouldn't start from cold but started once warm, code read temperature sensor but when checked it was fine so garage tested map sensor and it was reading 112. Might be worth checking?

Back