General Got my new Qubo and its great!

Currently reading:
General Got my new Qubo and its great!

radiocode

Driving the "Shrekmobile"
Hi all,

Think I have bought the other Qubo that Fiat imported into the UK (I have only ever seen one since it was launched).

I scrapped my old Volvo and bought a Disco Green Qubo Dynamic 1.3MJ Diesel. We already have a 2005 (new shape :() Multipla 1.9JTD and are very pleased with it.

Well, my wife hates it (I didn't get her permission to buy it:p), Norwich Union Insurance (soon to be Aviva) have never heard of it (it took then nearly a week to agree to insure it despite me already having an online quote from them :bang:), the children cried when I dropped off the Volvo and a neighbour has already complained that it is too bright in front of her window :devil:.

What can I say about it? IT IS FANTASTIC! Ok, the 1.3Multijet Diesel needs to be revved to make it hustle, but otherwise I can't find much wrong with it. It is certainly noticeable, its quiet inside and the Blue&Me is great. It has bags more boot space than the Multipla and the sliding doors were a hit with the kiddies once they got over the loss of Daddy's old red car.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else on this forum has one. I'm going to be festooning it with aerials soon (radio ham) and fitting a leisure battery in the boot. As I bought the showroom one (Qubos are 12-14 weeks leadtime from the factory) I didn't get the dark-tint glass so I'm going to have to get that done in the near future.

Cheers,

Lee

Just noticed this. Very interesting. I sat in one and could get comfortable very easily. I also saw one (I think - it may have been the Citroen version) on the road the other day.

Is it really quiet? i know the seating position is spot-on, and the general feel good, but the ride, handling and quietness matter a lot to me.

Thanks for the input.

Maybe it'll get the 95 high torque 1.3 and be the really great little car it promises to be. I hope so because I am tempted. Better than the Doblo; good (y)

Just noticed this. Very interesting. I sat in one and could get comfortable very easily. I also saw one (I think - it may have been the Citroen version) on the road the other day.

Is it really quiet? i know the seating position is spot-on, and the general feel good, but the ride, handling and quietness matter a lot to me.

Thanks for the input.

Hi Ulpian,

What can I say - its quieter than our '05 1.9JTD Multipla around town and on A-Roads. For a big car, the wind noise is remarkably small.

One thing my wife complains about (and the children too) is that the suspension is quite hard and they do get bounced around a bit on the bench seat in the back. They are used to the individual seats of the Multi though. Haven't been far on the motorway yet, but I would say the Multi would have the edge on comfort for long journeys.

Pictures to follow - the Qubo and Multi might be on Google Earth streetlevel (or whatever its called), as the camera car trolled past the house the day after I bought the Qubo!

Cheers,

Lee

Last edited:
Radiocode . . .

your car sounds FAB.. I love the colour, our local dealer has one and my other half LOVED it (like your wife, I am not so sure - but it is growing on me - they are a bit different to say the least!)

WE NEED PHOTOS THOUGH !!!

Hi there! Just got my 1.3mj dynamic in disco green two weeks ago and like you i love it! Everyone comments its a 'funky' car! I expected really sluggish driving but I don't find it too slow at all and the road holding inspires confidence. Best bit is blue and me as I talk a lot in phone. Kids love to shout call home!!! Am getting av 47.8mpg so quiter happy- also did 1000 round trip to scotland and back- comfy and easily cruises 75 no worries. ps for me the arm rest is too low but a 1.5litre mineral water bottle from asda in the holder below creates the perfect height- not bad fix for £1!! Happy driving- toady

Sounds good. As I have often said, I really like this car - it is so very comfortable for my frame and ticks practically all my boxes.

My only concerns have been with the performance. You sound happy enough: I'm encouraged.

I've only done 300 miles in my Qubo mjet so far, so I'm still taking it easy. Last night, however, I was followed away from our slot car club by a fellow racer in his MX5. I totally forgot that the engine was cold and the car not yet run in, so I put my foot down. I was pleasantly surprised by the performance. Far better than I expected from a fairly heavy car with such a small engine.

I'm still getting used to sitting so high up, learning to trust that it won't fall over going round corners.
One thing I would like to do is lower the car 30 or 40mm, to improve the looks. Does anyone know what other Fiat uses the same springs? I can't find any specific springs for the Qubo.

Don't be silly. it won't improve the looks and will wreck the ride and rough road - and speed bump - ability - not to mention resales. Leave well alone: the engineers went to a a lot of trouble to get the ride/handling compromise right. The chassis is GP by the way.

It won't fall over. In fact, the handling will be just fine. Get used to it.

And yes T, I think the Qubo is the new Doblo too. I may be in the market for a replacement in a couple of years: I'm thinking Multijet2, and even twin petrol....

...I'm waiting Fiat!

a chap at work has a Qubo, in orange!! i think he's trying to compete with my yellow punto tbh lol

sorry but i really don't like the look of them. they're just another van with too many windows/seats??

That's what makes them so convenient to use, and practical, and easy to get in and out of, and gives them such fantastic visibility. All pluses over ordinary small cars. Now factor in the fact that they are fun to drive too and it's a no brainer, unless you really want a small low car with a relatively cramped cabin and not much room for anything.

In a way the ordinary small car has been superseded by the vanny things, but most people haven't grasped it.

People who ride in mine are always astonished by the comfort, the room, the visibility and the ease of ingress and egress. Now factor in the sliding doors, which makes throwing the shopping in so much easier, and it can only be on style that the conventional and ubiquitous small car can make a case for itself.

But that is style only; there is nothing else going for it.

Hi, not really into this lark yet, but got to start somewhere,
looking for a new low tax small diesel and am hooked on the Qubo,
got to be diesel and a dynamic model, colours not bright, so blue or black heh?
any comments would be most welcome, if I don't get me nearly new Qubo for around £8,700 will think about an Idea Dynamic 1.3 diesel, but dont want old again, as its 55 reg, anyway let me know what you guys think, is it big enough for me the missus and the cat?
can I get 60 odd to the gallong, and will it be good for me to fly from South Wales to Kidderminster every 3 weekends or so, eagerly awaiting your comments bye for no:idea:

(y)
Hi, not really into this lark yet, but got to start somewhere,
looking for a new low tax small diesel and am hooked on the Qubo,
got to be diesel and a dynamic model, colours not bright, so blue or black heh?
any comments would be most welcome, if I don't get me nearly new Qubo for around £8,700 will think about an Idea Dynamic 1.3 diesel, but don't want old again, as its 55 reg, anyway let me know what you guys think, is it big enough for me the missus and the cat?
can I get 60 odd to the gallong, and will it be good for me to fly from South Wales to Kidderminster every 3 weekends or so, eagerly awaiting your comments bye for no:idea:
Hi Thekiddykid........Had my Qubo for a few months now, and overall its a great package. Its the 1.3 MultiJet Diesel, with the Durologic Gearbox. The high driving position and access into and out of the car are fantastic, its sure got plenty of room for you and the other half, and the kitty cat.
As per the MPG, well I'm still short of 5000 mile on the clock, so mine is still bedding in, and improving all the time, I have managed best part of 60 on a run. But, it will depend very much on How You Drive, and Traffic Conditions, even the route you use will make a difference, the flatter the better. After all its only a 1.3, though I find that mine is nearly as good on average speed as my last car (engine of twice the size), and a whole lot better on fuel. Plus it sure looks good in its Foxtrot Azure (blue) Metallic paint, better that my previous boring silver.
Happy hunting. Qube O. :)

Back