General Gearbox upgrade vs. insurance premium

Currently reading:
General Gearbox upgrade vs. insurance premium

Hi,
Currently i'm in a process of swaping 4 gear to 5 gear box on my Formula '91.
As this is major car modification in undrstanding of insurance company i'm considering to let them know and put that in certificate. Any chance some of you guys can advise me what premium increase should I expect?
Now i'm paying aprox. £250 on multicar policy. Did FIAT put gearbox type used on VIN number? is it tracable? My worries are that in their understanding it will be considered as "sport" modification while i'm doing that only for better driving comfort and better mpg @55mph.
Regards

Attachments

• Image0100.jpg
    Image0100.jpg
    828.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Image0103.jpg
    Image0103.jpg
    748.8 KB · Views: 15
Can't see that this will make any difference to your premium. Best to let them know so that they don't have any excuses if you make a claim, but I'd be really surprised if they charged you any more.

Can't see that this will make any difference to your premium. Best to let them know so that they don't have any excuses if you make a claim, but I'd be really surprised if they charged you any more.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: not charge you any more!! insurance company!!! really?
chances are the gearbox will make minimal difference to the premium.... but they'll charge about £50 to update the details. Go on, tell me I'm wrong.

You're correct guys, £26 if i'm not wrong for new certificate issue, so probably will wait untill renewal in about 6 weeks, i'll try as well to insure Panda under classic car policy to save some £ cause now is just normal.

You're correct guys, £26 if i'm not wrong for new certificate issue, so probably will wait untill renewal in about 6 weeks, i'll try as well to insure Panda under classic car policy to save some £ cause now is just normal.

Try Peter James for your classic policy. They come highly recommended for price and service - the only drawback is that the Panda's are so cheap to add on to a multi policy that you can't find a reason not to buy more! (y)

Best to tell the insurer about the gearbox - I had a 127 with a 5-speed box and they just noted the policy (no problems and no premium hike) - you don't want to give them a reason not to pay out if the worst happens.

Ahh the old insurance game.

Ok technically if you crash and kill 500 children then maybe the CSI New York team will infact dismantle the gearbox, find the extra selector and cog and you'll be on death row.

But realistically - is there any point phoning for such an un-noticable detail to be told that 1) Your insurance has risen an inexplicable amount OR its now void?

In my opinion - if it looks the same..... it is the same.

Last edited:
Unfortunately my trade is insurance although its home & travel not car but to be honest insurance records tend to be fairly primitive. Id be very suprised if they could tell after the fact that your car didnt come as standard with a 5 spd box

Back