Gearbox slipping?

Currently reading:
Gearbox slipping?

Kai8

Hi, I have a fiat bravo 1.6 multijet diesel. The car is awesome!, clutch feels great 1st and 2nd gear, but when i'm on the highway just cruzing 3rd gear around 2k rpm's then just accelerate normal, it feels like the gear is slipping, then all sudden starts to grab and continue normal. It does not happen all the time.

Is the clutch slipping? or is my 3rd gear shot? She doesn't do it all the time and when I go up and down the rpm range, she pulls hard, no slipping. Seems to only happen sometimes and on 3rd gear only.

If it was the clutch you'd expect it to do it worse in 4th, 5th and 6th not only 3rd. Gearboxes are either broken or they aren't missing teeth etc. do not go away and comeback the symptom would be there all the time.

Does the engine RPM change at all while the problem is occurring? Is it an auto or a manual?

Last edited:
Every single gear are fine, it happen for 3rd gear only really rare. (Eg: once per 2 hours drive) The RPM did not rev up or down. It's a diesel manual with 6 gears.

I think, since it happen so fast (no power for 1 sec and the power will be back on next sec) that the RPM not able to rev up fast enough.

Would you say it's a bad clutch, but early symptoms?

If the revs don't move it's not clutch. If clutch was slipping they would rise without the car speed increasing.

To me it's more likely to be a boost issue or something like that.

Okay, I will have professional person to check it out once again. Thanks for helping!

Back