General Gear linkage help

Currently reading:
General Gear linkage help

nitro_warrior

Established member
I've decided to sort out the "stirring a pot of porridge" gear lever and buy some new gear bushes. And then I remember why I haven't before because there are a few different kits and I can't decide what's right for a 1991 4x4.

Been digging around the Italian Ebay and identified this ... PANDA 4X4/ KIT LEVERAGGIO CAMBIO/ REPAIR TRANSMISSION SET

Or this... FIAT PANDA KIT LEVERAGGIO CAMBIO

I see Ricambio list two sets as well but neither look quite right to me.

Sorry I know this has been covered before but not had much luck searching the forum so any tips on the right bearing set (or good place to buy would be appreciated)

Also going to treat myself to a new gaiter as the gf is alarmed when she can see the road through the floor :rolleyes:

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
both sets are ok and needed for full linkage regeneration, one set is for the "front" side of the mechanism, small rods/selectors, near the gearbox, other for the "rear"side near the gearstck, plus front of long rods.

Last edited:
the ricambio sets seem to supply 2 versions of the bushes circled in the larger circle in your set no.2 drawing, one with roller bearings, one with bushes, neither of them show any bushes for the rods?

(i too am confused what to order, i have messaged them via the site but have had no response)

Try your local Fiat dealer first for the gear linkage ball joint bushed.

Top quality and £0.5 piece.

Gear lever and gear linkage are separate kits

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still a bit confused. The ebay items don't seem to match the part diagrams. Think I will need to lie under the car, have a look and try and figure it out. Also (for my own benefit as I will forget if I don't write it down somewhere) I see Ricambio do the gear linkage support assembly
Thank I have a bit of play in mine, how hard are they to cut the weld and fix yourself or for the sake of £30 and am as well fitting a new one?

2wd assemblies are cheaper than 4wd, so might not be that cost effective. Depends how bad your shaft is, if it is pitted and worn new bushes might be not enough. If its fine and you decide to renew the bushes you can add grease nipple to make the linkage last forever.
Top and bottom bushes are available of Fiat as well.

IMG_35311.JPG

Was the linkage I linked to 2wd? Didn't realise there was a difference! Well thanks, that saved me some bother! l do like the idea of adding a grease nipple to the linkage. Is the the bearing kit with roller bearings for the inside of that linkage part then? Have to admit, I couldn't work out where those roller bearings fitted. Or the Orange bushes with the small hole in the middle.

There is difference in the mounting plate/bracket itself.
The linkage and way how it does operate is exactly the same.

I'm not sure where the roller bearing goes, definitely not at the bottom and top of the vertical shaft as on photo above.
There are two 'plastic' bushes with flange and diagonal cut.

IMG_3523.JPG

Personally I would try to avoid the 'orange' ball joint clinch bushes as they are crap as hell.
Fiat does them in black.

Last edited:
Roller bearing isn't used on UK 4x4 - attachment 1.

They are shown as no. 14 on the attachment 2 - M7, M16 - which refers to 2wd 1000 SPI USA - Bosh/Weber.

Attachments

• Capture 1.JPG
    Capture 1.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Capture 3.JPG
    Capture 3.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Back